Subject: Re: bug#6737: 24.0.50; Feature request for vc-annotate.el

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2021 10:33:48 +0200

[email-masked] (Aneesh Kumar K.V) writes:

> It would be nice to support incremental blame support in vc-annotate.el.
> Currently we have to wait for the full blame information before the
> annotate buffer is available. git blame support incremental blame
> feature which should be used to imporve the user experience. A similar
> implementation can be found at git://git.bunkus.org/mo-git-blame.git

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately got no response at
the time.)

vc-annotate seems to work quite fast for me (even in huge files that
have decades-long histories, as in Emacs), so I'm not sure adding
support for incremental annotation would be worth it.

But perhaps changing the function to only work on the narrowed portion
of the buffer would be nice?  That way you could `C-x n d C-x v g' (for
instance) and get a very snappy annotation of just the current function,
for instance.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no