Subject: bug#67323: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Set a new desktop file to mode 0600

From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 11:23:56 +0100

Hi,

As a desktop file can contain some "secret" data, I think it is better
to make it read/write only to the user by default.  This does not
prevent the user to later change the mode of this desktop file if he
wants to "share" it.

Best regards,
>From 50605fe88c7c777592a4a785c92004d757809428 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 11:15:45 +0100
Subject: [PATCH] Set a new desktop file to mode 0600

* lisp/desktop.el (desktop-save): Set a new desktop file to mode 0600
by default.
---
 lisp/desktop.el | 7 +++++++
 1 file changed, 7 insertions(+)

diff --git a/lisp/desktop.el b/lisp/desktop.el
index f096f13ab80..dc6b48f8844 100644
--- a/lisp/desktop.el
+++ b/lisp/desktop.el
@@ -1158,6 +1158,13 @@ desktop-save
 	    (desktop-release-lock)
 	  (unless (and new-modtime (desktop-owner)) (desktop-claim-lock)))
 
+        ;; If the desktop file does not exist, create one only
+        ;; read/writable by user.
+        (let ((full-name (desktop-full-file-name)))
+          (unless (file-exists-p full-name)
+            (make-empty-file full-name)
+            (set-file-modes full-name #o600)))
+
         ;; What format are we going to write the file in?
         (setq desktop-io-file-version
               (cond
-- 
2.42.1

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 11, x86_64-unknown-openbsd7.4) of 2023-11-21
 built on computer
Repository revision: 04200f58f09f05f668ce7354851d488de11ccff6
Repository branch: mgi/gnus-modeline
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101009
System Description: OpenBSD computer 7.4 GENERIC.MP#1453 amd64

Configured using:
 'configure CC=egcc MAKEINFO=gmakeinfo --prefix=/home/manuel/emacs
 --exec-prefix=/home/manuel --with-x-toolkit=no --without-cairo
 --without-dbus --without-gconf --without-gsettings --without-sound
 --without-compress-install'

Configured features:
FREETYPE GIF GLIB GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBXML2 MODULES
NOTIFY KQUEUE OLDXMENU PDUMPER PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TREE_SITTER
WEBP X11 XDBE XFT XIM XINPUT2 XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-topic-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/ef-themes-1.4.0/theme-loaddefs hides /home/manuel/emacs/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/theme-loaddefs

Features:
(qp gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml magit-utils dash shortdoc comp-common
dabbrev cl-print help-fns radix-tree misearch multi-isearch
display-line-numbers proced smtpmail textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping
ucs-normalize uni-confusable textsec-check mailalias shadow sort
gnus-cite mail-extr emacsbug pulse log-edit add-log smerge-mode diff
whitespace vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn gnus-topic mm-archive url-cache
utf-7 imap rfc2104 nndoc nndraft nnmh network-stream nnfolder nnml
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual nntp gnus-cache
nnrss org-agenda mule-util on-screen pascal conf-mode vc-hg org-indent
oc-basic org-element org-persist org-id avl-tree ol-eww ol-rmail ol-mhe
ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect ol-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode
exif ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi gnus-icalendar
org-capture org-refile org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp
org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-footnote
org-faces org-entities ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table
ol org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs org-version
org-compat org-macs make-mode css-mode sgml-mode facemenu imenu eww
url-queue mm-url view sh-script smie treesit executable vc-cvs vc-rcs
log-view pcvs-util vc-dir ewoc vc autorevert filenotify vc-git diff-mode
vc-dispatcher bug-reference paredit gnus-dired time battery cus-load
exwm-randr xcb-randr exwm-config ido exwm exwm-input xcb-keysyms xcb-xkb
exwm-manage exwm-floating xcb-cursor xcb-render exwm-layout
exwm-workspace exwm-core xcb-ewmh xcb-icccm xcb xcb-xproto xcb-types
xcb-debug server modus-operandi-theme modus-themes zone speed-type
url-http url-auth url-gw nsm compat ytdious mingus libmpdee reporter
edebug debug backtrace transmission color calc-bin calc-ext calc
calc-loaddefs rect calc-macs supercite regi ebdb-message ebdb-gnus
gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig
gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail yank-media puny rfc822
mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums gmm-utils mailheader
gnus-win ebdb-mua ebdb-com crm ebdb-format ebdb mailabbrev eieio-opt
speedbar ezimage dframe find-func eieio-base timezone icalendar gnus
nnheader gnus-util mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit web-mode
derived disp-table erlang-start skeleton cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs slime-asdf
grep slime-tramp tramp rx trampver tramp-integration files-x
tramp-message tramp-compat xdg shell pcomplete parse-time iso8601
time-date format-spec tramp-loaddefs slime-fancy slime-indentation
slime-cl-indent cl-indent slime-trace-dialog slime-fontifying-fu
slime-package-fu slime-references slime-compiler-notes-tree advice
slime-scratch slime-presentations bridge slime-macrostep macrostep
slime-mdot-fu slime-enclosing-context slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace
slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc
slime-repl slime-parse slime apropos compile text-property-search etags
fileloop generator xref project arc-mode archive-mode noutline outline
icons pp comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring hyperspec thingatpt
slime-autoloads edmacro kmacro use-package-bind-key bind-key appt
diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs pcase dired-x
dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs notifications dbus xml cl-extra help-mode
use-package-core repeat easy-mmode desktop frameset debbugs-autoloads
ebdb-autoloads ef-themes-autoloads exwm-autoloads hyperbole-autoloads
magit-autoloads git-commit-autoloads finder-inf magit-section-autoloads
dash-autoloads on-screen-autoloads osm-autoloads paredit-autoloads
rust-mode-autoloads speed-type-autoloads transmission-autoloads
with-editor-autoloads info compat-autoloads ytdious-autoloads package
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache
json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs
cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode
register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads kqueue lcms2 dynamic-setting font-render-setting xinput2 x
multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1120120 482852) (symbols 48 57677 39)
 (strings 32 296390 30784) (string-bytes 1 9719758)
 (vectors 16 181383) (vector-slots 8 3111778 142788)
 (floats 8 690 1106) (intervals 56 52158 2695) (buffers 992 125))

-- 
Manuel Giraud