Subject: bug#67322: closed (Re: bug#67322: 30.0.50; Fix Gnus logo help-echo)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 17:09:02 +0000

Your bug report

#67322: 30.0.50; Fix Gnus logo help-echo

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
67322: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=67322
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#67322: 30.0.50; Fix Gnus logo help-echo
From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
To: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 09:08:12 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 11/22/23 17:42 PM, Manuel Giraud wrote:
> Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Manuel Giraud via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of
>> text editors" <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> On my system, (gnus-emacs-version) returns nil and this "nil" is
>>> displayed when I hover the Gnus logo.  This patch removes this "nil".
>>
>> Huh, I'd never noticed that. The whole mechanism seems a little weird --
>> why does Gnus need to tell us about Emacs and the current system?
>
> Yes the code of 'gnus-emacs-version' is weird… but old so I did not
> touch it and instead focus on its return.
>
>> Anyway, in the interest of minimal changes, this seems like a fine fix
>> to me. Do you have commit access?
>
> No I don't.

Okay, I'll push this in a bit. Thanks again.

Subject: 30.0.50; Fix Gnus logo help-echo
From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 10:25:59 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

On my system, (gnus-emacs-version) returns nil and this "nil" is
displayed when I hover the Gnus logo.  This patch removes this "nil".

Best regards,
>From da4dc47f18f483d43deb8def5f57e477955df10b Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 10:09:30 +0100
Subject: [PATCH] Fix Gnus logo help-echo

* lisp/gnus/gnus.el (gnus-mode-line-buffer-identification): Fix Gnus
logo help-echo should (gnus-emacs-version) be nil.
---
 lisp/gnus/gnus.el | 13 ++++++++-----
 1 file changed, 8 insertions(+), 5 deletions(-)

diff --git a/lisp/gnus/gnus.el b/lisp/gnus/gnus.el
index ffe81e5c585..6bf66233101 100644
--- a/lisp/gnus/gnus.el
+++ b/lisp/gnus/gnus.el
@@ -319,7 +319,8 @@ gnus-mode-line-buffer-identification
 	    (not (stringp str))
 	    (not (string-match "^Gnus:" str)))
 	(list str)
-      (let ((load-path (append (mm-image-load-path) load-path)))
+      (let ((load-path (append (mm-image-load-path) load-path))
+            (gnus-emacs-version (gnus-emacs-version)))
 	;; Add the Gnus logo.
 	(add-text-properties
 	 0 5
@@ -328,13 +329,15 @@ gnus-mode-line-buffer-identification
 		'((:type svg :file "gnus-pointer.svg"
                          :ascent center)
                   (:type xpm :file "gnus-pointer.xpm"
-			    :ascent center)
+			 :ascent center)
 		  (:type xbm :file "gnus-pointer.xbm"
 			 :ascent center))
 		t)
-	       'help-echo (format
-			   "This is %s, %s."
-			   gnus-version (gnus-emacs-version)))
+	       'help-echo (if gnus-emacs-version
+                              (format
+			       "This is %s, %s."
+			       gnus-version gnus-emacs-version)
+                            (format "This is %s." gnus-version)))
 	 str)
 	(list str)))))
 
-- 
2.42.1

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 11, x86_64-unknown-openbsd7.4) of 2023-11-21
 built on computer
Repository revision: 04200f58f09f05f668ce7354851d488de11ccff6
Repository branch: mgi/gnus-modeline
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101009
System Description: OpenBSD computer 7.4 GENERIC.MP#1453 amd64

Configured using:
 'configure CC=egcc MAKEINFO=gmakeinfo --prefix=/home/manuel/emacs
 --exec-prefix=/home/manuel --with-x-toolkit=no --without-cairo
 --without-dbus --without-gconf --without-gsettings --without-sound
 --without-compress-install'

Configured features:
FREETYPE GIF GLIB GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBXML2 MODULES
NOTIFY KQUEUE OLDXMENU PDUMPER PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TREE_SITTER
WEBP X11 XDBE XFT XIM XINPUT2 XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/l

Minor modes in effect:
  bug-reference-prog-mode: t
  paredit-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/ef-themes-1.4.0/theme-loaddefs hides /home/manuel/emacs/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/theme-loaddefs

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-cite mail-extr emacsbug pulse log-edit add-log
smerge-mode diff whitespace vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn gnus-topic
mm-archive url-cache utf-7 imap rfc2104 nndoc nndraft nnmh
network-stream nnfolder nnml gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual nntp gnus-cache nnrss org-agenda mule-util on-screen pascal
conf-mode vc-hg org-indent oc-basic org-element org-persist org-id
avl-tree ol-eww ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect
ol-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb
ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi gnus-icalendar org-capture org-refile org ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint
org-pcomplete org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities ob-emacs-lisp
ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol org-fold org-fold-core org-keys
oc org-loaddefs org-version org-compat org-macs make-mode css-mode
sgml-mode facemenu imenu eww url-queue mm-url view sh-script smie
treesit executable vc-cvs vc-rcs log-view pcvs-util vc-dir ewoc vc
autorevert filenotify vc-git diff-mode vc-dispatcher bug-reference
paredit gnus-dired time battery cus-load exwm-randr xcb-randr
exwm-config ido exwm exwm-input xcb-keysyms xcb-xkb exwm-manage
exwm-floating xcb-cursor xcb-render exwm-layout exwm-workspace exwm-core
xcb-ewmh xcb-icccm xcb xcb-xproto xcb-types xcb-debug server
modus-operandi-theme modus-themes zone speed-type url-http url-auth
url-gw nsm compat ytdious mingus libmpdee reporter edebug debug
backtrace transmission color calc-bin calc-ext calc calc-loaddefs rect
calc-macs supercite regi ebdb-message ebdb-gnus gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill
kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus
gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range message sendmail yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg
rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win ebdb-mua
ebdb-com crm ebdb-format ebdb mailabbrev eieio-opt speedbar ezimage
dframe find-func eieio-base timezone icalendar gnus nnheader gnus-util
mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit web-mode derived disp-table
erlang-start skeleton cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs slime-asdf grep slime-tramp
tramp rx trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-message tramp-compat
xdg shell pcomplete parse-time iso8601 time-date format-spec
tramp-loaddefs slime-fancy slime-indentation slime-cl-indent cl-indent
slime-trace-dialog slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu slime-references
slime-compiler-notes-tree advice slime-scratch slime-presentations
bridge slime-macrostep macrostep slime-mdot-fu slime-enclosing-context
slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c
slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc slime-repl slime-parse slime
apropos compile text-property-search etags fileloop generator xref
project arc-mode archive-mode noutline outline icons pp comint ansi-osc
ansi-color ring hyperspec thingatpt slime-autoloads edmacro kmacro
use-package-bind-key bind-key appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs pcase dired-x dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs
notifications dbus xml cl-extra help-mode use-package-core repeat
easy-mmode desktop frameset debbugs-autoloads ebdb-autoloads
ef-themes-autoloads exwm-autoloads hyperbole-autoloads magit-autoloads
git-commit-autoloads finder-inf magit-section-autoloads dash-autoloads
on-screen-autoloads osm-autoloads paredit-autoloads rust-mode-autoloads
speed-type-autoloads transmission-autoloads with-editor-autoloads info
compat-autoloads ytdious-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode
register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads kqueue lcms2 dynamic-setting font-render-setting xinput2 x
multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 808644 157579) (symbols 48 55737 6)
 (strings 32 185625 8869) (string-bytes 1 7515340) (vectors 16 110453)
 (vector-slots 8 2233084 181582) (floats 8 548 241)
 (intervals 56 42068 1127) (buffers 992 112))

-- 
Manuel Giraud