Subject: bug#67310: [PATCH] Include the project--list as history when prompting for a project

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 22:32:27 +0200

On 10/12/2023 19:43, Juri Linkov wrote:
>>> This change broke the order of 'C-x p p M-n M-n ...',
>> Could you remind me which behavior in 'M-n M-n' the aforementioned change
>> relates to? Is this supposed to be like input history as well, or the
>> contents of the completions table in a certain order?
> It's inappropriate to overwrite the history with the recently visited projects.
> Only user input should be added to history variables because it's actually
> the history of user input.  Therefore, the remaining way to access a list
> of recently visited projects is the future history with 'M-n M-n'.

But... we do overwrite it now, manually constructing the value of input 
history from project--list every time.

So it seems like both "past history" and "future history" show the same 
information now. If so, it might make sense to keep only one.

>> I just tried find-file, and the future history is empty there, so I suppose
>> this is something we added particularly for project-find-file.
> Unlike with project--list, we don't keep a list of recently visited files.
> Once we conducted an experiment to add all visited files to the input file history,
> even when a file was visited without reading a file name in the minibuffer,
> e.g. by typing RET in Dired.  But no one liked this behavior.

I don't remember that experiment, but the description sounds like 
recentf. Which must have its audience (and I use it through Ido's 
"virtual buffers").

Thought the way of accessing that history (only through iteration) might 
have felt limiting in that experiment.