Subject: bug#67287: 29.1; hs-set-up-overlay messes up indent-sexp

From: João Pedro <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 10:42:24 -0300

Em domingo, 19/11/2023 às 22:18, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> escreveu:

Hey Eli, thanks for the quick reply.

> Indentation commands align text by columns, and 'display' properties
> and invisible text affect those columns (starting from Emacs 29).

Ah, that explains why I started seeing this behaviour recently...

> So you shouldn't expect reasonable results from indenting a sexp which
> is partially hidden and has a 'display' property that replaces it.
> IOW, always unhide the block before indenting it.

So you mean that whatever is going to indent or modify the hidden text
should be "unhiding" it before doing so? Can you point to a function
that does this so I could take as a reference?

> This is not a bug.

Yeah, but maybe it requires a bit more documenting? I couldn't find
where this new behaviour was documented in NEWS.29, all I could find was
that the implementation of overlays has changed, but no mention of how
it affects 'display' properties. Maybe I missed it?

Regards,

-- 
João Pedro de A. Paula
IT bachelors at Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Norte (UFRN)