Subject: bug#67262: python-ts-mode cannot identify triple-quoted-strings

From: Yuan Fu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 15:43:22 -0800

On 11/26/23 6:58 AM, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> On 26/11/2023 04:04, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
>> As for what to do about this one -- probably something involving 
>> syntax-propertize-extend-region-functions, adding an entry which 
>> would initialize the parser, but not call syntax-ppss-flush-cache 
>> directly (or at least not just that). It would signal the earlier 
>> position to extend to through some dynamic variable. This is getting 
>> tricky enough to move from the individual major modes into treesit.el 
>> proper, I think.
>
> Alternatively, we'd trigger updates eagerly from within 
> treesit_record_change -- that would make it slower, invalidating the 
> comment above it. Not sure by how much, though.

It seems to me that what we need is to force a re-parse at the beginning 
of syntax-propertize or in syntax-ppss-flush-cache; the re-parse would 
cause the notifier to run, which runs python--treesit-parser-after-change.

I'm not quite sure about how do we cause this re-parse. The 
straightforward approach would be calling treesit-force-reparse[1] in 
syntax-propertize/syntax-ppss-flush-cache. But ideally I'd like to keep 
tree-sitter transparent for syntax.el. Maybe we can add a hook in 
syntax-propertize/syntax-ppss-flush-cache.

[1] This function doesn't exist yet, but it's easy to define in lisp.

Yuan