Subject: [bug#67260] [PATCH emacs-team v11 0/7] You thought it was term/internal.el, but it was me, Dio!

From: Andrew Tropin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2024 10:13:54 +0300

On 2024-02-24 09:04, Liliana Marie Prikler wrote:

> After a week of debugging the internals of how Emacs compiles, loads,
> and dumps (!) its .eln-files, I finally came up with the perfectly
> cursed mix that enables us to actually load *and* graft our natively
> compiled packages with ease.
>
> In unrelated news, I feel like I should wear a witch hat for faster
> development cycles.
>
> Liliana Marie Prikler (7):
>   gnu: emacs: Build trampolines.
>   gnu: emacs: Don't hash file names in native compilation.
>   gnu: emacs: Check integrity of native-compiled files.
>   gnu: emacs: Disable jit compilation.
>   build-system: emacs: Compute relative file names.
>   gnu: emacs-org: Fix native builds.
>   gnu: emacs-magit: Fix native builds.
>
>  Makefile.am                                   |   1 +
>  gnu/local.mk                                  |   2 +
>  .../aux-files/emacs/comp-integrity.el         | 126 +++++++
>  gnu/packages/emacs-xyz.scm                    |  10 +-
>  gnu/packages/emacs.scm                        |  20 +-
>  .../emacs-disable-jit-compilation.patch       |  19 +
>  .../emacs-native-comp-fix-filenames.patch     | 338 ++++++++++++++++++
>  guix/build/emacs-utils.scm                    |   4 +-
>  8 files changed, 516 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)
>  create mode 100644 gnu/packages/aux-files/emacs/comp-integrity.el
>  create mode 100644 gnu/packages/patches/emacs-disable-jit-compilation.patch
>  create mode 100644 gnu/packages/patches/emacs-native-comp-fix-filenames.patch
>
>
> base-commit: aae61f54ff6acf5cc0e0355dc85babf29f625660

For usual emacs it seems to work, (require 'magit) with clean eln cache
doesn't trigger any builds. For emacs-pgtk it fails to build emacs:

guix time-machine --url='https://git.guix-patches.cbaines.net/git/guix-patches' --branch=issue-67260 --disable-authentication -- shell emacs-pgtk emacs-magit --pure -E '.*GTK.*|.*XDG.*|.*DISPLAY.*' -- emacs -Q

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
   passed  94/97  expect-window-right-native (0.002412 sec)
Test expect-x-dnd-init-frame-native backtrace:
  signal(void-function (x-dnd-init-frame))
  apply(signal (void-function (x-dnd-init-frame)))
  (setq value-477 (apply fn-475 args-476))
  (unwind-protect (setq value-477 (apply fn-475 args-476)) (setq form-
  (if (unwind-protect (setq value-477 (apply fn-475 args-476)) (setq f
  (let (form-description-479) (if (unwind-protect (setq value-477 (app
  (let ((value-477 'ert-form-evaluation-aborted-478)) (let (form-descr
  (let* ((fn-475 #'eq) (args-476 (condition-case err (let ((signal-hoo
  (lambda nil (let* ((fn-475 #'eq) (args-476 (condition-case err (let 
  ert--run-test-internal(#s(ert--test-execution-info :test #s(ert-test
  ert-run-test(#s(ert-test :name expect-x-dnd-init-frame-native :docum
  ert-run-or-rerun-test(#s(ert--stats :selector t :tests ... :test-map
  ert-run-tests(t #f(compiled-function (event-type &rest event-args) #
  ert-run-tests-batch(nil)
  ert-run-tests-batch-and-exit()
  command-line-1(("--load" "/gnu/store/ql9y5r4ydz4dl8jjf2b2bz9fqhxmbm3
  command-line()
  normal-top-level()
Test expect-x-dnd-init-frame-native condition:
    (void-function x-dnd-init-frame)
   FAILED  95/97  expect-x-dnd-init-frame-native (0.000082 sec) at ../../../gnu/store/ql9y5r4ydz4dl8jjf2b2bz9fqhxmbm3x-comp-integrity.el:1
Test expect-x-handle-no-bitmap-icon-native backtrace:
  signal(void-function (x-handle-no-bitmap-icon))
  apply(signal (void-function (x-handle-no-bitmap-icon)))
  (setq value-482 (apply fn-480 args-481))
  (unwind-protect (setq value-482 (apply fn-480 args-481)) (setq form-
  (if (unwind-protect (setq value-482 (apply fn-480 args-481)) (setq f
  (let (form-description-484) (if (unwind-protect (setq value-482 (app
  (let ((value-482 'ert-form-evaluation-aborted-483)) (let (form-descr
  (let* ((fn-480 #'eq) (args-481 (condition-case err (let ((signal-hoo
  (lambda nil (let* ((fn-480 #'eq) (args-481 (condition-case err (let 
  ert--run-test-internal(#s(ert--test-execution-info :test #s(ert-test
  ert-run-test(#s(ert-test :name expect-x-handle-no-bitmap-icon-native
  ert-run-or-rerun-test(#s(ert--stats :selector t :tests ... :test-map
  ert-run-tests(t #f(compiled-function (event-type &rest event-args) #
  ert-run-tests-batch(nil)
  ert-run-tests-batch-and-exit()
  command-line-1(("--load" "/gnu/store/ql9y5r4ydz4dl8jjf2b2bz9fqhxmbm3
  command-line()
  normal-top-level()
Test expect-x-handle-no-bitmap-icon-native condition:
    (void-function x-handle-no-bitmap-icon)
   FAILED  96/97  expect-x-handle-no-bitmap-icon-native (0.000111 sec) at ../../../gnu/store/ql9y5r4ydz4dl8jjf2b2bz9fqhxmbm3x-comp-integrity.el:1
   passed  97/97  expect-x-setup-function-keys-native (0.004165 sec)

Ran 97 tests, 95 results as expected, 2 unexpected (2024-03-02 05:46:28+0000, 0.361428 sec)

2 unexpected results:
   FAILED  expect-x-dnd-init-frame-native
   FAILED  expect-x-handle-no-bitmap-icon-native

error: in phase 'validate-comp-integrity': uncaught exception:
%exception #<&invoke-error program: "/gnu/store/m01icx06dw1vs1krcj4jbmw71nv430dp-emacs-pgtk-29.2/bin/emacs" arguments: ("--batch" "--load" "/gnu/store/ql9y5r4ydz4dl8jjf2b2bz9fqhxmbm3x-comp-integrity.el" "-f" "ert-run-tests-batch-and-exit") exit-status: 1 term-signal: #f stop-signal: #f> 
phase `validate-comp-integrity' failed after 0.5 seconds
command "/gnu/store/m01icx06dw1vs1krcj4jbmw71nv430dp-emacs-pgtk-29.2/bin/emacs" "--batch" "--load" "/gnu/store/ql9y5r4ydz4dl8jjf2b2bz9fqhxmbm3x-comp-integrity.el" "-f" "ert-run-tests-batch-and-exit" failed with status 1
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Thank you very much for working on it!

-- 
Best regards,
Andrew Tropin