Subject: [bug#67260] [PATCH v6 1/7] gnu: emacs: Wrap EMACSNATIVELOADPATH.

From: Suhail <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 16:17:47 +0000

I'm assuming you're able to reproduce the issue on your end as well with
other features like prog-mode, backquote etc.

Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]> writes:

> I instrumented lread.c to print the relative and absolute file names
> tried, and it appears that these aren't loaded at all after install
> while EMACSNATIVELOADPATH is ignored when dumping.

Interesting.  I did a grep of the Emacs source (branch emacs-29) and
line 1770 of src/lread.c (in maybe_swap_for_eln) seemed relevant:

>   /* Look also in preloaded subfolder of the last entry in
>      `comp-eln-load-path'.  */

What surprised me was that not only was the "preloaded" directory
special-cased, but so too was the last entry of "comp-eln-load-path"
(which I imagine is referring to native-comp-eln-load-path).  Judging by
your message, I'm guessing you're well aware of this.  I, unfortunately,
have no additional insights or suggestions.

However, given that ensuring Emacs is able to find the natively-compiled
version of files seems non-trivial, it might help for a future patch
series to be accompanied with tests.  Thoughts?

-- 
Suhail