Subject: bug#67246: 30.0.50; elixir-ts-mode uses faces inconsistently

From: Andrey Listopadov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 22:50:58 +0300

I've upgraded from elixir-mode to elixir-ts-mode and noticed that the
latter uses faces rather inconsistently.

For example, the =font-lock-keyword-face= is used for both keywords and
method calls, as well as for parentheses.  The
=font-lock-function-name-face= is used both for function definitions,
parameter names, and calls.  Some calls use the
=font-lock-keyword-face=, for example the call to `raise'.  The
=font-lock-type-face= is used both for types and =:symbols=.

All of that basically makes Elixir code mostly use 2 colors.
Additionally, it makes impossible selectively disabling highlighting, as
disabling the function call highlighting will disable the function
definition highlighitng an so on.

I believe, Emacs 29 introduced a lot of faces for all kinds of
situations possible in Tree-sitter generated AST, so perhaps the fix is
to use them more semantically, rather than for good looks.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.38, cairo version 1.17.8) of 2023-11-08 built on toolbox
Repository revision: bf9cbc2354124a1e9eb3327007468ba384ba2945
Repository branch: master
System Description: Fedora Linux 38 (Container Image)

Configured using:
 'configure --without-compress-install --with-native-compilation=aot
 --with-pgtk --with-mailutils --with-xwidgets
 --prefix=/var/home/alist/.local'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER XIM XWIDGETS GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: mu4e:main

Minor modes in effect:
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  mu4e-search-minor-mode: t
  mu4e-update-minor-mode: t
  mu4e-context-minor-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  marginalia-mode: t
  corfu-popupinfo-mode: t
  global-corfu-mode: t
  global-region-bindings-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  gcmh-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  context-menu-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  overwrite-mode: overwrite-mode-binary

Load-path shadows:
/var/home/alist/.config/emacs/elpa/transient-20231103.2312/transient hides /var/home/alist/.local/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/transient
/var/home/alist/.config/emacs/elpa/modus-themes-20231031.716/theme-loaddefs hides /var/home/alist/.local/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/theme-loaddefs

Features:
(shadow face-remap emacsbug mu4e mu4e-org ob-fennel fennel-proto-repl
fennel-mode inf-lisp xref magit-bookmark magit-submodule magit-blame
magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch
magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes
magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset
magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit magit-repos magit-apply
magit-wip magit-log which-func imenu magit-diff smerge-mode diff
diff-mode git-commit log-edit pcvs-util add-log magit-core
magit-autorevert magit-margin magit-transient magit-process with-editor
magit-mode transient magit-git magit-base magit-section cursor-sensor
crm project ob-lua ob-shell shell org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete
org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities ob-emacs-lisp ob-core
ob-eval org-cycle org-table org-keys oc org-loaddefs find-func mu4e-main
mu4e-view gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig
gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap
nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range gnus-win gnus nnheader range cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
mu4e-headers mu4e-compose mu4e-draft mu4e-actions smtpmail mu4e-search
mu4e-lists mu4e-bookmarks mu4e-mark mu4e-message shr pixel-fill kinsoku
url-file svg dom flow-fill hl-line mu4e-contacts mu4e-update
mu4e-folders mu4e-server mu4e-context mu4e-vars mu4e-helpers mu4e-config
bookmark ido message sendmail yank-media puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util time-date
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util
ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader
vertico-directory mule-util highlight-defined advice noutline outline
elec-pair isayt disp-table hideshow hl-todo savehist delsel pixel-scroll
cua-base autorevert filenotify repeat vertico marginalia corfu-popupinfo
cape corfu compat region-bindings recentf tree-widget gcmh init proxy
gsettings s gvariant parsec dash zig-compilation-mode
fennel-compilation-mode clojure-compilation-mode derived compile
text-property-search server ediff ediff-merg ediff-mult ediff-wind
ediff-diff ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util sql-indent sql view
thingatpt comint ansi-osc ring zig-mode reformatter ansi-color ol
org-fold org-fold-core org-compat org-version org-macs format-spec blog
use-package-delight formfeed modus-vivendi-theme modus-themes dbus xml
common-lisp-modes novice cus-edit pp cus-load wid-edit font mode-line
messages defaults edmacro kmacro functions use-package-bind-key bind-key
local-config delight comp comp-cstr warnings icons rx use-package-ensure
cl-extra help-mode use-package-core early-init finder-inf blog-autoloads
cape-autoloads clj-decompiler-autoloads clj-refactor-autoloads
cider-autoloads clojure-mode-autoloads common-lisp-modes-autoloads
consult-autoloads corfu-terminal-autoloads corfu-autoloads
csv-mode-autoloads delight-autoloads dumb-jump-autoloads eat-autoloads
elfeed-autoloads expand-region-autoloads fennel-mode-autoloads
gcmh-autoloads geiser-guile-autoloads geiser-autoloads gnugo-autoloads
ascii-art-to-unicode-autoloads gsettings-autoloads gvariant-autoloads
highlight-defined-autoloads hl-todo-autoloads inflections-autoloads
isayt-autoloads jdecomp-autoloads lsp-java-autoloads
lsp-metals-autoloads dap-mode-autoloads lsp-docker-autoloads
bui-autoloads lsp-treemacs-autoloads lsp-mode-autoloads f-autoloads
lua-mode-autoloads marginalia-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads
message-view-patch-autoloads magit-autoloads pcase
magit-section-autoloads git-commit-autoloads modus-themes-autoloads
mu4e-alert-autoloads alert-autoloads log4e-autoloads gntp-autoloads
multiple-cursors-autoloads orderless-autoloads org-modern-autoloads
org-tree-slide-autoloads ox-hugo-autoloads
package-lint-flymake-autoloads package-lint-autoloads paredit-autoloads
parsec-autoloads parseedn-autoloads parseclj-autoloads
phi-search-autoloads popon-autoloads popup-autoloads puni-autoloads
easy-mmode racket-mode-autoloads region-bindings-autoloads
request-autoloads scala-mode-autoloads separedit-autoloads
edit-indirect-autoloads sesman-autoloads sly-autoloads spinner-autoloads
sql-indent-autoloads tomelr-autoloads transient-autoloads
treemacs-autoloads cfrs-autoloads posframe-autoloads ht-autoloads
hydra-autoloads lv-autoloads pfuture-autoloads ace-window-autoloads
avy-autoloads s-autoloads dash-autoloads vertico-autoloads
vundo-autoloads with-editor-autoloads info compat-autoloads
xpm-autoloads queue-autoloads yaml-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads
yasnippet-autoloads zig-mode-autoloads reformatter-autoloads package
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache
json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs
cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win
pgtk-win term/common-win pgtk-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads xwidget-internal dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
gtk pgtk lcms2 multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 672577 585595) (symbols 48 39874 485)
 (strings 32 183934 60222) (string-bytes 1 5724204) (vectors 16 69084)
 (vector-slots 8 1236810 764574) (floats 8 489 1785)
 (intervals 56 649 178) (buffers 992 11))

-- 
Andrey Listopadov