Subject: bug#67240: dev: “make” of Guix fails, non-existent .git/hooks directory

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2024 20:20:18 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, 12 Nov 2024 at 16:06, Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> cp: cannot create regular file '.git/hooks/pre-push': No such file or directory
>> make[2]: *** [Makefile:7454: .git/hooks/pre-push] Error 1
>> make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/simon/src/guix/guix'
>> make[1]: *** [Makefile:6137: all-recursive] Error 1
>> make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/simon/src/guix/guix'
>> make: *** [Makefile:4253: all] Error 2

[...]

>> +	mkdir -p .git/hooks; \
>>  	cp etc/git/pre-push .git/hooks/pre-push; \
>
> If you could come up with a reproducer, I don't mind applying such a
> change, but so far it seems unnecessary?

Bah I barely clone. ;-)

Well, I am not able to reproduce too.  Maybe an issue with a clone that
had been completed at once.  Anyway.

In all, I think it’s always a good idea to check if the folder
destination exists before copying.  It costs almost nothing and it
avoids spurious annoyances, as initially reported.

Cheers,
simon