Subject: Re: bug#67185: Small bug in the Introduction to Elisp manual

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 09:19:01 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 22:56:29 -0500
> 
> We should use logical terms such as "converse" only in the strictly correct
> logical sense.  "Converse" is not correct here.
> 
> "Inverse" also has a specific mathematical meaning, which doesn't fit
> here.
> 
> What should se use here?  I think "opposite" is the best word.

That manual uses "converse" and "conversely" about half a dozen times:
are all of them incorrect, and actually mean "opposite" or maybe "by
contrast"?

> > >  >  "The ‘kill-region’ function definition also has an ‘unless’ macro; it
> > >  >  is the opposite of ‘when’.
> 
> If people are asking me to review more of the text, would someone please
> send me the entire passage I whoudl review?

The passage was in the original message.  I reproduce its Texinfo
source below:

  The @code{kill-region} function definition also has an @code{unless}
  macro; it is the converse of @code{when}.  The @code{unless} macro is
  an @code{if} without a then clause