Subject: Re: bug#67174: 30.0.50; [PATCH] What about a vectorized Gnus mode-line logo?

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2023 12:10:42 -0800

Manuel Giraud via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of
text editors" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> Looks good to me, thank you! For my amusement I rebuilt Emacs without
>> SVG support and it correctly fell back to the xpm file.
>>
>> I think it's fine to leave the copyright information etc just as it is
>> in gnus.svg. Maybe let's give it a day in case a maintainer wants to
>> chime in, but I'd expect it's fine as-is.
>
> Hi Eric and thanks for the kind words,
>
> The thing I am not really sure about is the scaling.  Like it is done
> for the xpm, this image is set to ":scale 1" but as it is a SVG it might
> make sense to scale it to the mode-line's char-height.  I don't know how
> to do that though.

Hmm, I couldn't find an explicit statement of this in the manual, but it
looks to me that, since we're using the 'display text property, the
:scale property will already be relative to the text that _would have
been displayed there_. IOW, we're already scaled to the text. The text
property is applied to the "^Gnus:" part of a string, so 5 characters,
and that's our base.

Anyway, if you're concerned that the icon might bulge out the mode line
or something, I don't think that will happen.

Eric