Subject: bug#6717: tramp-dissect-file-name: Not a Tramp file name

From: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 12:05:16 +0200

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

> Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>
>>>>>> IMHO this is the wrong place to fix that.  Instead file-name-directory
>>>>>> should not be called on the local part in the first place, or at least
>>>>>> *all* file name handlers should be suppressed around the call.
>>>>>
>>>>> I thought about that. But I'm not sure, whether we shall disable
>>>>> jka-compr, for example. What happens, if the URL is something like
>>>>> http://host.cc/path/file.gz ?
>>>>
>>>> Nothing special.  Why should it?  It's not a file name, it is a URL.
>>>
>>> Maybe. But at least `url-file-handler' must be kept, it treats the URL
>>> as a file name.
>>
>> Why? There is no url-file-name-directory.
>
> Indeed. But you don't know, which other primitive functions are called,
> requesting a url-* handler.

??? We are talking about file-name-directory.

> And you don't know, whether url-file-name-directory will be added to
> url-handlers.el in the future.

Even then, it will not be called because the argument does not match the
syntax of a URL, since it's only the local part of it.

Andreas.

-- 
Andreas Schwab, [email-masked]
GPG Key fingerprint = 58CA 54C7 6D53 942B 1756  01D3 44D5 214B 8276 4ED5
"And now for something completely different."