Subject: bug#6717: tramp-dissect-file-name: Not a Tramp file name

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 11:41:09 +0200

Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]> writes:

> Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>>>> IMHO this is the wrong place to fix that.  Instead file-name-directory
>>>>> should not be called on the local part in the first place, or at least
>>>>> *all* file name handlers should be suppressed around the call.
>>>>
>>>> I thought about that. But I'm not sure, whether we shall disable
>>>> jka-compr, for example. What happens, if the URL is something like
>>>> http://host.cc/path/file.gz ?
>>>
>>> Nothing special.  Why should it?  It's not a file name, it is a URL.
>>
>> Maybe. But at least `url-file-handler' must be kept, it treats the URL
>> as a file name.
>
> Why? There is no url-file-name-directory.

Indeed. But you don't know, which other primitive functions are called,
requesting a url-* handler. And you don't know, whether
url-file-name-directory will be added to url-handlers.el in the future.

At least I don't know. If there shall be another fix than disabling
Tramp temporarily, I would like to give it to somebody else with much
more knowledge about the url package than I have.

> Andreas.

Best regards, Michael.