Subject: Re: bug#67161: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Add option `dired-filename-display-length'

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 16:53:42 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Liu Hui <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 09:03:39 -0500
> 
> > However, I'm beginning to think that this is a subtle misfeature in
> > 'concat': it should support vector of glyphs with faces, and should
> > preserve the face information (my patch simply discards faces, which
> > could perhaps affect string-width result).
> 
> Hmm...  It's hard for me to judge because I don't really understand why
> we have "vectors of glyphs".

They are stored in display-tables.

> If vectors of glyphs can express things we can't express in a
> string, then the question is what should `concat` do in that case,
> and if we can then ... why do we even have vectors of glyphs?

See above.  I don't know why display-tables store vectors and not
strings, but it was like that forever.