Subject: bug#67161: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Add option `dired-filename-display-length'

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 13:55:58 -0500

>> in the attached patch, then text in hidden part can be matched
>> regardless of search-invisible being open or t. It also has a bonus
>> that hidden text can be revealed during isearch.

Yes, using an overlay sounds like a better choice here, thanks.

> Juri, this seems to be a usability bug?  Why does Isearch only look
> into invisible overlay properties, but not text properties?  IOW, why
> doesn't "M-s i" set the value of isearch-invisible to t, not 'open'?

I think the idea is that matching invisible text is somewhat
inconvenient, so it's better to temporarily reveal/open that text.
But I think it points to an bug in Isearch: when `isearch-invisible` is
`open` we should match text inside invisible text, regardless if we can
reveal/open that invisible text or not.  IOW `open` should find the
same matches as `t`, the only difference being that it additionally
(tries to) reveal/open the text.

> In any case, the differences between properties and
> overlays is unusual and IMO a misfeature.  Can this be fixed?

Indeed, it would be good to implement some way to reveal/open invisible
text made invisible via text-properties rather than overlays.
That also applies to `reveal-mode`, of course.

        Stefan