Subject: bug#6713: initial-frame-alist params applied to all frames

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 23:42:55 -0500

Trying to come back to this bug that's been affecting my Emacs's
background for the last 6 months now ;-)

I just found out that the behavior is affected by the Xft.dpi value:

  % echo Xft.dpi: 124 | xrdb
  % emacs -Q --eval '(progn (setq initial-frame-alist (quote ((background-color . "grey75")))) (make-frame))'
  C-x 5 2

leaves me with 3 frames: the initial frame with grey75 background (yay!), and
2 frames with white background (yay!).

OTOH

  % echo Xft.dpi: 123 | xrdb
  % emacs -Q --eval '(progn (setq initial-frame-alist (quote ((background-color . "grey75")))) (make-frame))'
  C-x 5 2

leaves me with 3 frames: the initial frame with grey75 background (yay!), the
second frame with white background (yay!), but the last frame with
grey75 background (nay!).

Only the value 124 gives me the right answer, on this machine.
xdpyinfo says "96x96 dpi", so I'm not sure from where the 124 comes.

Does this ring a bell to anyone?

        Stefan