Subject: bug#6713: initial-frame-alist params applied to all frames

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 16:25:22 -0400

>> With a .emacs that contains just:
>> (setq initial-frame-alist '((background-color . "grey75")))
>> start "emacs" and then hit C-x 5 2.  Notice that the second frame also
>> has a grey75 background.
> Hmm, I can't reproduce this.  For me, the second frame is white.  This
> is with latest bzr sources, and `xrdb -remove' before running Emacs.

I'm still seeing this bug (which appeared back when you changed the
default-frame-alist handling):

   % src/emacs -Q --eval '(setq initial-frame-alist (quote ((background-color . "grey75"))))'
   C-x 5 2

Gives me 2 frames, both with a grey75 background.  If I change grey75 to
something else (like "red"), I get a red background in both frames.

But I recently noticed that the bug was not present on one of my
machine; which happens to be one where I was running a mix of Debian
"stable"&"testing" (because of a problem in the "testing" version of the
X11 driver).  I've now upgraded it back to "testing" and the bug is now
present there as well, so it appears to also depend on the version of
some library (probably libX11 since the bug appears both with Gtk and
Lucid toolkits).

Also the bug is not present in the emacs-23 branch, so while the version
of some library might matter, Emacs's own code also matters.

        Stefan