Subject: bug#67070: 29.1; broken keybindings with emacs 29

From: Enrico Scholz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 11:32:26 +0100

Emacs 29 seems to inject always a 'super' key event after 'meta'.
E.g. when I try to press 'M-x', emacs reports

| M-s-x is undefined

Ditto with any other key combination which involves 'meta'.

Things work as expected with emacs 28.3 and before.

My ~/.Xmodmap is

---
keycode 12  = 3 numbersign section
keycode 20  = minus underscore ssharp
keycode 26  = e E EuroSign
keycode 54  = c C cent
keycode 34  = bracketleft braceleft udiaeresis
keycode 47  = semicolon   colon     odiaeresis
keycode 48  = apostrophe  quotedbl  adiaeresis
keycode 28  = t T XF86Time

keycode 66  = Control_L

!keycode 37  = Mode_switch Caps_Lock
keycode 37  = Mode_switch
keycode 133  = Alt_L
keycode 64 = Meta_L

!keycode 108 = Mode_switch
keycode 108 = Meta_R Meta_R
keycode 134 = Meta_R
keycode 135 = Alt_R

clear Mod1
clear Mod4
clear Lock
clear control
add Lock = Caps_Lock
add control = Control_L Control_R
add Mod1 = Alt_L Alt_R
add Mod4 = Meta_L Meta_R

keycode 67 = F1 F1
keycode 68 = F2 F2
keycode 69 = F3 F3
keycode 70 = F4 F4
keycode 71 = F5 F5
keycode 72 = F6 F6
keycode 73 = F7 F7
keycode 74 = F8 F8
keycode 75 = F9 F9
!keycode 76 = F10 F10
keycode 95 = F11 F11
keycode 96 = F12 F12
---

In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 1, x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.38, cairo version 1.17.8) of 2023-09-24 built on
 e1d0f5fdfea948b9bb25e212c9c623e4
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12014000
System Description: Fedora Linux 39 (Container Image)

Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var --runstatedir=/run
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-gpm=no
 --with-xwidgets --with-modules --with-harfbuzz --with-cairo --with-json
 --with-native-compilation=aot --with-tree-sitter --with-sqlite3
 --with-webp --with-xinput2 build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu CC=gcc 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2
 -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects -fexceptions -g -grecord-gcc-switches
 -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security
 -Wp,-U_FORTIFY_SOURCE,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3 -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -fstack-protector-strong
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 -m64 -mtune=generic
 -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection
 -fno-omit-frame-pointer -mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer '
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig CXX=g++
 'CXXFLAGS=-O2 -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects -fexceptions -g
 -grecord-gcc-switches -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security
 -Wp,-U_FORTIFY_SOURCE,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3 -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -fstack-protector-strong
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 -m64 -mtune=generic
 -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection
 -fno-omit-frame-pointer -mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer ''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM XWIDGETS
GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: C
  locale-coding-system: nil

Major mode: ELisp/d

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: (only . t)
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  overwrite-mode: overwrite-mode-textual

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
comp comp-cstr warnings icons subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs gv cl-extra
help-mode bytecomp byte-compile cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads xwidget-internal dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 77729 7271)
 (symbols 48 7149 0)
 (strings 32 19806 2855)
 (string-bytes 1 596322)
 (vectors 16 15672)
 (vector-slots 8 328685 10196)
 (floats 8 27 46)
 (intervals 56 340 0)
 (buffers 984 12))