Subject: Re: bug#67061: [PATCH] Improve syntax highlighting for python-ts-mode

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 13:16:53 -0800

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

> I don't know at what stage we're going to start worrying when adding new
> elements to the queries, though, in fear of breaking compatibility with
> some potential older version of the grammar.

Right.  But can we really stop installing support for new language
features that users expect?

I'm not super close to the tree-sitter stuff to be honest, so apologies
if I misunderstood something.  But IIUC, the current situation means
that we can't depend on concrete versions of grammars, which means we
can't depend on that to make adaptions.  But that situation is not
really caused by us, right?

So maybe at the point when we find problems in practice, we should just
throw up our hands and urge users to upgrade.  Perhaps it'll encourage
more work on improving the situation with grammar versioning.

The biggest problems will be with faster moving languages, of course.
And who knows how common they will be even then - only experience will
tell.

Just my two cents.