Subject: Re: bug#67053: 29.1; Doc string of variable `dired-use-ls-dired'

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 10:04:54 +0200

> Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
> From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 07:43:14 +0100
> 
> Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > In short, `dired-use-ls-dired' isn't used if option
> > `ls-lisp-use-insert-directory-program' is nil; it's
> > irrelevant in that case.  The doc should say that.
> 
> If that is what you suggest - yes, I think this would be reasonable.

If that's the only problem with the doc string, then I already added a
note to that affect (although I wonder why a user who doesn't use 'ls'
would be bothered by this factoid).  FTR, it was very hard to
understand from the original report that this is the source of the
confusion.  Why would someone expect Emacs to check what 'ls' does if
'ls' is not used?

Anyway, I'm now closing this bug, as I don't think we have anything
else to do here.