Subject: bug#67045: No way to control location of .aspell.en.prepl from within Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 08:58:17 +0200

> From: Björn Lindqvist <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 22:33:17 +0100
> Cc: [email-masked]
>
> > Can't you customize ispell-extra-args?  In addition,
> > ispell-dictionary-alist supports language-specific options, AFAIK.
> 
> I didn't know about that variable and it's not in the manual afaics. I
> managed to piece some elisp together using it to set the --repl
> option. It works, though I don't think it is a very user-friendly
> solution.

Why do you consider it not a user-friendly solution?  There's no limit
to command-line options a speller can have, so it is not reasonable
IMO to expect Emacs to have a separate variable for each one of them.
Thus, our solution to have a single variable that can hold any
additional options is a reasonable compromise.

As for its discoverability: in general, when you are faced with a
problem in some Emacs Lisp package, my advice is first to see whether
a solution already exists by browsing all the defcustom's of that
package (and its parent packages, if that is appropriate).  One way of
doing that is by using "M-x customize-group" bu giving it the group of
the package.

Stefan, WDYT?