Subject: bug#67037: closed (Re: bug#67037: 29.1/git latest; Multiple versions of Emacs on macos consistently crash when loading a 2-line Markdown file)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2024 21:41:04 +0000

Your bug report

#67037: 29.1/git latest; Multiple versions of Emacs on macos consistently crash when loading a 2-line Markdown file

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
67037: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=67037
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#67037: 29.1/git latest; Multiple versions of Emacs on macos consistently crash when loading a 2-line Markdown file
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Matthew Ray <[email-masked]>
Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2024 13:57:29 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> tags 67037 + moreinfo
> thanks
>
> Matthew Ray <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Following your recommendations I was able to narrow it down to
>> tree-sitter. Disabling it solves the problem. I'll continue to
>> investigate, but this doesn't appear to directly be an Emacs bug.
>
> Any news here?  Is this still an issue?

More information was requested, but none was given within 6 months, so
I'm closing this bug.  If this is still an issue, please reply to this
email (use "Reply to all" in your email client) and we can reopen the
bug report.

Subject: 29.1/git latest; Multiple versions of Emacs on macos consistently crash when loading a 2-line Markdown file
From: Matthew Ray <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2023 23:49:46 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The attached 2-line Markdown file consistently crashes Emacs 29.1 and
a recent Git build of 30. I have rebuilt all of my Emacs plugins
several times, uninstalled/reinstalled multiple versions of Emacs and
tree-sitter. I narrowed down the offending Markdown file from a much
larger file with `head` and `tail` that consistently crashes Emacs.
Using `cat` to look at the file in M-x shell is fine.

Error logs from Emacs 29.1 from https://emacsformacosx.com and Emacs
29.1 built with the Homebrew
https://github.com/d12frosted/homebrew-emacs-plus are attached.
Emacs configuration is here:
https://github.com/mattray/home-directory/tree/main/.emacs.d

Thanks!
Matt Ray

Additional M-x report-bug output:

In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 1, aarch64-apple-darwin21.6.0, NS
 appkit-2113.60 Version 12.6.6 (Build 21G646)) of 2023-08-16 built on
 armbob.lan
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2299
System Description:  macOS 13.6.1

Configured using:
 'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-modules 'CFLAGS=-DFD_SETSIZE=10000
 -DDARWIN_UNLIMITED_SELECT' --with-x-toolkit=no'

Configured features:
ACL GLIB GMP GNUTLS JPEG JSON LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER
PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  yafolding-mode: t
  display-line-numbers-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
  global-diff-hl-mode: t
  tree-sitter-hl-mode: t
  global-tree-sitter-mode: t
  tree-sitter-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/Users/mattray/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20231103.2312/transient hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/transient
/Users/mattray/.emacs.d/elpa/seq-2.24/seq hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/emacs-lisp/seq

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message yank-media puny rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date
yafolding display-line-numbers flyspell ispell jka-compr saveplace
pixel-scroll cua-base diff-hl log-view pcvs-util vc-dir ewoc vc
vc-dispatcher diff-mode easy-mmode cus-load markdown-preview-eww
exec-path-from-shell tree-sitter-langs tree-sitter-langs-build tar-mode
arc-mode archive-mode pp tree-sitter-hl tree-sitter tree-sitter-load
tree-sitter-cli tsc tsc-dyn powerline advice powerline-separators color
powerline-themes tsc-dyn-get compile text-property-search comint
ansi-osc ansi-color ring dired-aux tsc-obsolete column-marker dired
dired-loaddefs time powerline-mattray-theme mattray-twilight-theme
server finder-inf company-autoloads diff-hl-autoloads
enh-ruby-mode-autoloads exec-path-from-shell-autoloads
flymake-go-staticcheck-autoloads gh-autoloads auto-complete-autoloads
go-mode-autoloads json-mode-autoloads rx lsp-mode-autoloads f-autoloads
magit-autoloads pcase git-commit-autoloads magit-section-autoloads
markdown-mode-autoloads ht-autoloads pcache-autoloads popup-autoloads
powerline-autoloads reformatter-autoloads s-autoloads
terraform-mode-autoloads dash-autoloads hcl-mode-autoloads
transient-autoloads tree-sitter-langs-autoloads tree-sitter-autoloads
tsc-autoloads with-editor-autoloads info compat-autoloads seq-autoloads
yaml-mode-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip
cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util
term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 321690 16335)
 (symbols 48 19749 0)
 (strings 32 108275 2736)
 (string-bytes 1 2707710)
 (vectors 16 30870)
 (vector-slots 8 416062 20161)
 (floats 8 164 397)
 (intervals 56 303 0)
 (buffers 984 11))