Subject: bug#67037: 29.1/git latest; Multiple versions of Emacs on macos consistently crash when loading a 2-line Markdown file

From: Matthew Ray <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2023 23:49:46 -0600

The attached 2-line Markdown file consistently crashes Emacs 29.1 and
a recent Git build of 30. I have rebuilt all of my Emacs plugins
several times, uninstalled/reinstalled multiple versions of Emacs and
tree-sitter. I narrowed down the offending Markdown file from a much
larger file with `head` and `tail` that consistently crashes Emacs.
Using `cat` to look at the file in M-x shell is fine.

Error logs from Emacs 29.1 from https://emacsformacosx.com and Emacs
29.1 built with the Homebrew
https://github.com/d12frosted/homebrew-emacs-plus are attached.
Emacs configuration is here:
https://github.com/mattray/home-directory/tree/main/.emacs.d

Thanks!
Matt Ray

Additional M-x report-bug output:

In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 1, aarch64-apple-darwin21.6.0, NS
 appkit-2113.60 Version 12.6.6 (Build 21G646)) of 2023-08-16 built on
 armbob.lan
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2299
System Description:  macOS 13.6.1

Configured using:
 'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-modules 'CFLAGS=-DFD_SETSIZE=10000
 -DDARWIN_UNLIMITED_SELECT' --with-x-toolkit=no'

Configured features:
ACL GLIB GMP GNUTLS JPEG JSON LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER
PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  yafolding-mode: t
  display-line-numbers-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
  global-diff-hl-mode: t
  tree-sitter-hl-mode: t
  global-tree-sitter-mode: t
  tree-sitter-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/Users/mattray/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20231103.2312/transient hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/transient
/Users/mattray/.emacs.d/elpa/seq-2.24/seq hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/emacs-lisp/seq

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message yank-media puny rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date
yafolding display-line-numbers flyspell ispell jka-compr saveplace
pixel-scroll cua-base diff-hl log-view pcvs-util vc-dir ewoc vc
vc-dispatcher diff-mode easy-mmode cus-load markdown-preview-eww
exec-path-from-shell tree-sitter-langs tree-sitter-langs-build tar-mode
arc-mode archive-mode pp tree-sitter-hl tree-sitter tree-sitter-load
tree-sitter-cli tsc tsc-dyn powerline advice powerline-separators color
powerline-themes tsc-dyn-get compile text-property-search comint
ansi-osc ansi-color ring dired-aux tsc-obsolete column-marker dired
dired-loaddefs time powerline-mattray-theme mattray-twilight-theme
server finder-inf company-autoloads diff-hl-autoloads
enh-ruby-mode-autoloads exec-path-from-shell-autoloads
flymake-go-staticcheck-autoloads gh-autoloads auto-complete-autoloads
go-mode-autoloads json-mode-autoloads rx lsp-mode-autoloads f-autoloads
magit-autoloads pcase git-commit-autoloads magit-section-autoloads
markdown-mode-autoloads ht-autoloads pcache-autoloads popup-autoloads
powerline-autoloads reformatter-autoloads s-autoloads
terraform-mode-autoloads dash-autoloads hcl-mode-autoloads
transient-autoloads tree-sitter-langs-autoloads tree-sitter-autoloads
tsc-autoloads with-editor-autoloads info compat-autoloads seq-autoloads
yaml-mode-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip
cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util
term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 321690 16335)
 (symbols 48 19749 0)
 (strings 32 108275 2736)
 (string-bytes 1 2707710)
 (vectors 16 30870)
 (vector-slots 8 416062 20161)
 (floats 8 164 397)
 (intervals 56 303 0)
 (buffers 984 11))