Subject: bug#67037: 29.1/git latest; Multiple versions of Emacs on macos consistently crash when loading a 2-line Markdown file

From: Matthew Ray <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 08:23:36 -0600

Thanks for the feedback.

Following your recommendations I was able to narrow it down to
tree-sitter. Disabling it solves the problem. I'll continue to
investigate, but this doesn't appear to directly be an Emacs bug.

Thanks!

On Fri, Nov 10, 2023 at 2:22 AM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> > From: Matthew Ray <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2023 23:49:46 -0600
> >
> > The attached 2-line Markdown file consistently crashes Emacs 29.1 and
> > a recent Git build of 30. I have rebuilt all of my Emacs plugins
> > several times, uninstalled/reinstalled multiple versions of Emacs and
> > tree-sitter. I narrowed down the offending Markdown file from a much
> > larger file with `head` and `tail` that consistently crashes Emacs.
> > Using `cat` to look at the file in M-x shell is fine.
>
> Do you have some kind or Markdown mode installed?  If so, which one,
> and where can one be downloaded?  Because Emacs 29 doesn't have such a
> mode bundled, and when I visit the file you attached, I see
> Fundamental mode (and no crash).
>
> So some additional information is missing from your report.  In
> general, it is best to describe all the steps needed to reproduce the
> problem starting from "emacs -Q" (and loading any optional packages if
> needed by hand), including all the commands you need to type in Emacs.
>
> Thanks.