Subject: bug#67033: 30.0.50; Emacs Lisp Reference Manual, escapes in strings

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2023 21:52:09 -0500

In Info, in the node Strings and Characters, there is no obvious link
to the info about the read syntax of strings (or that if characters).

Neither is there any in its subnode Basic.

In the node Lisp Data Types, there is a subnode Printed
Representation.  However, that subnode does not offer any way to get
to the printed representations of specific data types, including
strings.

Its subnode Programming Types has a subnode String Type.
It does not say anythng about how to represent a carriage return
or where to find that info.

It has a subnode Syntax for Strings.  But that too says nothing
about how to represent control characters in a string constant
and gives no link for that.

A later subnode, Nonprinting Characters in Strings,
also does not say anythng about how to represent a carriage return.

I was really looking for that info -- I had forgotten it was \r -- 
and I was really looking at all these nodes, and finding no help.

Eventually I looked at nodes about characters and found the answer
there.  But the nodes about strings ought to help the user find that.
I think several of the nodes I mentioned above
should have links to the string syntax, and the main string syntax
node should have a link to the info on \-sequences for strings.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 2.24.32, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2023-07-03 built on freetop
Repository revision: a5bf0ae66141e7560f70a045c0dea132a4868c87
Repository branch: master
System Description: Trisquel GNU/Linux Nabia (10.0)

Configured using:
 'configure 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g' --with-gnutls=ifavailable'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LIBOTF
LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG
SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2
XPM GTK2 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: linux
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug url-http url-auth url-gw nsm ispell log-edit add-log
vc vc-dispatcher sh-script rx executable parse-time iso8601 vc-cvs
vc-rcs log-view easy-mmode pcvs-util mhtml-mode css-mode smie eww xdg
url-queue mm-url gnus nnheader range wid-edit color js c-ts-common
treesit imenu cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs sgml-mode facemenu etags fileloop
generator xref project shell pcomplete thingatpt files-x grep compile
comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring misearch multi-isearch dabbrev
cl-extra help-fns radix-tree help-mode rmailkwd rmailout textsec
uni-scripts idna-mapping ucs-normalize uni-confusable textsec-check
shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg xml dom qp mailalias rmailmm
message sendmail yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg epg-config
gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader mail-parse rfc2231 dired-aux dired
dired-loaddefs term/linux view derived disp-table advice rmailsum
rmail rfc6068 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
finder-inf osm-autoloads info compat-autoloads package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode
register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 477016 122344) (symbols 48 18418 15)
 (strings 32 82586 6570) (string-bytes 1 2125802) (vectors 16 67106)
 (vector-slots 8 1585222 166396) (floats 8 176 544)
 (intervals 56 38908 1621) (buffers 976 57))
[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)