Subject: bug#67028: closed (Re: [External] : Re: bug#67028: 29.1; WDired should restore the previous `mode-name' when returning to Dired mode)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 19:57:01 +0000

Your bug report

#67028: 29.1; WDired should restore the previous `mode-name' when returning to Dired mode

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
67028: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=67028
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: [External] : Re: bug#67028: 29.1; WDired should restore the previous `mode-name' when returning to Dired mode
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 21:55:46 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> CC: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 17:21:29 +0000
> 
> > Thanks.  Does the patch below give good results?
> 
> LGTM - thx.

Thanks, installed on master, and closing the bug.

Subject: 29.1; WDired should restore the previous `mode-name' when returning to Dired mode
From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2023 20:00:25 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Dunno how simple and sure this would be to do, but I think that when you
quit WDired the mode-line should show the same `mode-name' it showed
before you entered WDired.  E.g., if the `mode-name' was "Dired by name"
then it should be restored to that.

Instead, when you quit WDired the `mode-name' is always set to just
"Dired".  You lose the info that the sorting is by name or by date.

Seems like `wdired-change-to-dired-mode' could just save the `mode-name'
before it changes mode.  And then `wdired-change-to-dired-mode' to
restore that saved `mode-name' value.

In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 2, x86_64-w64-mingw32) of 2023-08-02 built on
 AVALON
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19045
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v10.0.2009.19045.3570)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --without-dbus --with-native-compilation=aot
 --without-compress-install --with-tree-sitter CFLAGS=-O2'

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XPM ZLIB

(NATIVE_COMP present but libgccjit not available)