Subject: bug#6702: 24.0.50; Can't yank text on Mac OS X

From: Magnus Henoch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 11:31:27 +0200

Running Emacs from bzr on Mac OS 10.6.4, if I mark some text, save it
with M-w, and then try to yank it with C-y, I get the error message
'Quit: "pasteboard doesn't contain valid data"'.  (See keystrokes and
message log below.)

Also, I can't paste the saved text into another application.  However,
if I copy text from another application, I can yank it into Emacs with
C-y.

Only M-w and C-w seem to be affected; text killed with M-d and C-k can
be yanked and pasted.

Everything used to work as expected in Emacs 23.2.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.2 (x86_64-apple-darwin10.4.0, NS apple-appkit-1038.32)
 of 2010-07-20 on Magnus-Henochs-MacBook-Pro.local
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1038
configured using `configure  '--with-ns''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-SPC <up> <up> <up> <up> M-w <C-down> C-y M-x r e 
p o r t - e m a c s - b u g <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Mark set [2 times]
Quit: "pasteboard doesn't contain valid data"

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader emacsbug
tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win easymenu
tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process ns multi-tty emacs)