Subject: Re: bug#6702: 24.0.50; Can't yank text on Mac OS X

From: David De La Harpe Golden <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 21:46:07 +0100

On 29/07/10 17:20, Magnus Henoch wrote:
> Magnus Henoch<[email-masked]>  writes:
>
>> Running Emacs from bzr on Mac OS 10.6.4, if I mark some text, save it
>> with M-w, and then try to yank it with C-y, I get the error message
>> 'Quit: "pasteboard doesn't contain valid data"'.  (See keystrokes and
>> message log below.)
>>
>> Also, I can't paste the saved text into another application.  However,
>> if I copy text from another application, I can yank it into Emacs with
>> C-y.
>>
>> Only M-w and C-w seem to be affected; text killed with M-d and C-k can
>> be yanked and pasted.
>
> Correction: I figured out that the nature of the problem is different.
> When I mark a region of text with C-SPC and movement keys, everything
> works fine if I then hit M-w _twice_.  After the first press, the
> highlighting disappears, and after the second press, the cursor briefly
> blinks at the mark, signalling that the text was actually saved.
>

Hmm. Not that it helps you exactly, but that's actually a bit less 
broken than I thought.  Please note, there are several known issues in 
this area on macosx and other platforms owing to some recent changes to 
defaults.

see e.g. #6677 http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=6677

See:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2010-07/msg01314.html
http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=6720#20

for instructions on reverting the new behaviour for now if you want to.

I will be looking at the area over this weekend, anyway, on x11/w32/ns.