Subject: bug#67018: [PATCH] Add autoload cookie to vc-git-grep

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2023 17:13:53 +0200

> From: Alyssa Ross <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2023 16:05:32 +0100
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >> +;;;###autoload
> >>  (defun vc-git-grep (regexp &optional files dir)
> >>    "Run git grep, searching for REGEXP in FILES in directory DIR.
> >>  The search is limited to file names matching shell pattern FILES.
> >
> > Thanks, but please explain the motivation.  Which package needs to
> > autoload this function and why?
> 
> Often running M-x vc-git-grep is the first thing I do after starting
> Emacs.  I think it would be good if it was autoloaded, so I didn't have
> to M-x load-library vc-git first, or try to set up autoloading just for
> myself in my Emacs configuration.

By the same token we should autoload every command in every Lisp
package we have?  Because there are a lot of commands that are not
autoloaded, and you need to load their package to have them available.
I wonder what Dmitry and Stefan (both of them) think about this.