Subject: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Look for strfile executable only when needed

From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2023 10:04:52 +0100

Hi,

Here is a patch for fortune.el to move looking for the strfile
executable at the very last moment (i.e. when the fortune file needs to
be compiled).

Why: on OpenBSD, the default fortune is distribute without strfile but
the fortune files are already compiled.  Without this patch, M-x fortune
complains about a missing strfile.  This patch fixes this and I don't
think it could be detrimental for other systems.

Thanks,
>From 2fba44f7df4d47606f63eb0ab7a1b74dd0e3ab6e Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2023 09:51:23 +0100
Subject: [PATCH] Look for strfile executable only when needed

* lisp/play/fortune.el (fortune-compile): Move looking for strfile at
the last moment.
---
 lisp/play/fortune.el | 14 +++++++-------
 1 file changed, 7 insertions(+), 7 deletions(-)

diff --git a/lisp/play/fortune.el b/lisp/play/fortune.el
index 36551321a56..a744ddec1b1 100644
--- a/lisp/play/fortune.el
+++ b/lisp/play/fortune.el
@@ -253,15 +253,15 @@ fortune-compile
   (let* ((fortune-file (expand-file-name (substitute-in-file-name file)))
 	 (fortune-dat (expand-file-name
 		       (substitute-in-file-name
-			(concat fortune-file fortune-database-extension))))
-         (strfile (or (executable-find fortune-strfile)
-                      (error "Can't find strfile program %s" fortune-strfile))))
+			(concat fortune-file fortune-database-extension)))))
     (cond ((file-exists-p fortune-file)
            (cond ((file-newer-than-file-p fortune-file fortune-dat)
-                  (message "Compiling new fortune database %s" fortune-dat)
-                  (shell-command
-                   (concat strfile fortune-strfile-options
-                           " " fortune-file fortune-quiet-strfile-options)))))
+                  (let (strfile (or (executable-find fortune-strfile)
+                                    (error "Can't find strfile program %s" fortune-strfile)))
+                    (message "Compiling new fortune database %s" fortune-dat)
+                    (shell-command
+                     (concat strfile fortune-strfile-options
+                             " " fortune-file fortune-quiet-strfile-options))))))
 	  (t (error "Can't compile fortune file %s" fortune-file)))))

-- 
2.42.0

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-unknown-openbsd7.4) of 2023-11-08
 built on computer
Repository revision: bf9cbc2354124a1e9eb3327007468ba384ba2945
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101008
System Description: OpenBSD computer 7.4 GENERIC.MP#0 amd64

Configured using:
 'configure CC=egcc MAKEINFO=gmakeinfo --prefix=/home/manuel/emacs
 --exec-prefix=/home/manuel --with-x-toolkit=no --without-cairo
 --without-dbus --without-gconf --without-gsettings --without-sound
 --without-compress-install'

Configured features:
FREETYPE GIF GLIB GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBXML2 MODULES
NOTIFY KQUEUE OLDXMENU PDUMPER PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TREE_SITTER
WEBP X11 XDBE XFT XIM XINPUT2 XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  gnus-dired-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/ef-themes-1.4.0/theme-loaddefs hides /home/manuel/emacs/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/theme-loaddefs

Features:
(shadow emacsbug face-remap magit-submodule magit-obsolete magit-blame
magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch
magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes
magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset
magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit magit-repos magit-apply
magit-wip magit-log which-func magit-diff git-commit magit-core
magit-autorevert magit-margin magit-transient magit-process with-editor
magit-mode transient magit-git magit-section dictionary
external-completion dictionary-connection vc-annotate log-edit add-log
smerge-mode diff whitespace ef-cherie-theme cus-edit cus-start fortune
spook cookie1 ispell magit-utils dash tabify imenu man rmailmm rmail
vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn flow-fill mailalias smtpmail dabbrev
shortdoc comp comp-cstr warnings sort gnus-cite mail-extr textsec
uni-scripts idna-mapping ucs-normalize uni-confusable textsec-check
gnus-bcklg gnus-async qp gnus-ml gnus-topic mm-archive url-cache utf-7
imap rfc2104 nndoc nndraft nnmh network-stream nnfolder nnml gnus-agent
gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual nntp gnus-cache nnrss cl-print
pulse help-fns radix-tree misearch multi-isearch org-duration org-agenda
vc-cvs vc-rcs log-view pcvs-util make-mode org-indent org-element
org-persist org-id avl-tree oc-basic ol-eww eww url-queue mm-url
ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect ol-docview doc-view
jka-compr image-mode exif ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi
org-link-doi gnus-icalendar org-capture org-refile org ob ob-tangle
ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete
org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities ob-emacs-lisp ob-core
ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc
org-loaddefs org-version org-compat org-macs sh-script smie treesit
executable mule-util on-screen vc-hg conf-mode view pascal vc-dir ewoc
vc bug-reference gnus-dired autorevert filenotify vc-git diff-mode
vc-dispatcher paredit time battery cus-load exwm-randr xcb-randr
exwm-config ido exwm exwm-input xcb-keysyms xcb-xkb exwm-manage
exwm-floating xcb-cursor xcb-render exwm-layout exwm-workspace exwm-core
xcb-ewmh xcb-icccm xcb xcb-xproto xcb-types xcb-debug server
ef-summer-theme ef-themes modus-operandi-theme modus-themes zone
speed-type url-http url-auth url-gw nsm compat ytdious mingus libmpdee
reporter edebug debug backtrace transmission color calc-bin calc-ext
calc calc-loaddefs rect calc-macs supercite regi ebdb-message ebdb-gnus
gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig
gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail yank-media puny rfc822
mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums gmm-utils mailheader
gnus-win ebdb-mua ebdb-com crm ebdb-format ebdb mailabbrev eieio-opt
speedbar ezimage dframe find-func eieio-base pcase timezone icalendar
gnus nnheader gnus-util mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit
visual-basic-mode cl web-mode derived disp-table erlang-start
smart-tabs-mode skeleton cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs slime-asdf grep slime-tramp
tramp rx trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-message tramp-compat
xdg shell pcomplete parse-time iso8601 time-date format-spec
tramp-loaddefs slime-fancy slime-indentation slime-cl-indent cl-indent
slime-trace-dialog slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu slime-references
slime-compiler-notes-tree advice slime-scratch slime-presentations
bridge slime-macrostep macrostep slime-mdot-fu slime-enclosing-context
slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c
slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc slime-repl slime-parse slime
apropos compile text-property-search etags fileloop generator xref
project arc-mode archive-mode noutline outline icons pp comint ansi-osc
ansi-color ring hyperspec thingatpt slime-autoloads edmacro kmacro
use-package-bind-key bind-key appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs dired-x dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs
notifications dbus xml cl-extra help-mode use-package-core repeat
easy-mmode savehist desktop frameset debbugs-autoloads ebdb-autoloads
ef-themes-autoloads exwm-autoloads hyperbole-autoloads magit-autoloads
git-commit-autoloads finder-inf magit-section-autoloads dash-autoloads
on-screen-autoloads osm-autoloads paredit-autoloads rust-mode-autoloads
speed-type-autoloads transmission-autoloads with-editor-autoloads info
compat-autoloads ytdious-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode
register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads kqueue lcms2 dynamic-setting font-render-setting xinput2 x
multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1301869 429268) (symbols 48 63026 13)
 (strings 32 320232 20861) (string-bytes 1 10350015)
 (vectors 16 195160) (vector-slots 8 3283311 133174)
 (floats 8 732 9105) (intervals 56 43459 3744) (buffers 992 151))

-- 
Manuel Giraud