Subject: bug#67012: 29.1; epa-sign-file pinentry loopback mode does not work with S/MIME

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2023 07:43:59 +0200

> From: Ulrich Mueller <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,  Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 12:40:05 +0100
> 
> Until there's a proper fix (not anytime soon, I suppose?), could we
> please disable pinentry loopback with gpgsm? See patch below.
> 
> That way, the user could still set epg-pinentry-mode to loopback for use
> with gpg2, and with gpgsm it would fall back to passphrase input through
> the pinentry program (i.e. in the GUI). This seems to be better than
> erroring out.
> 
> (In fact, I use gpgsm with pinentry.el from Emacs 25.3 as a workaround.
> Unfortunately, that package has been removed as a fix for bug #27445.)

I have difficulty making a decision about this, as I don't feel I
understand the situation well enough.  Can you please help me by
answering the following questions:

  . are we talking about a single problem or about several ones? the
    original report was about invoking gpgsm, but then you started
    talking about gpg2 as well?
  . is this a recent regression in Emacs, or did this problem exist in
    older versions of Emacs as well? or is this due to some recent
    change in GnuPG?

Thanks.