Subject: RE: bug#6701: 24.0.50; Cut and paste with mouse-3/mouse-2 no longer works

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 14:21:21 -0700

> first mouse-3 click: adjust region (only), thereby also adjusting 
> primary when select-active-regions enabled (as it now is).
> 
> second mouse-3 click: copy region to kill-ring/clipboard
> 
> third mouse-3 click: cut region to kill-ring/clipboard (using 
> same slot as copy to avoid duplication).

No, no, no.  Please do _not_ change the default behavior of Emacs to this.

If you want to provide such a behavior as an alternative, bring it up as a
proposal on emacs-devel.  But under no circumstances should such a change be
made to the _default_ behavior.

Create an alternative library `ddlhg-mouse.el', or otherwise implement this as a
_user choice_ (via customize or a new minor mode or something).  But please do
not simply impose such a change on Emacs as the default.

Many of us download the latest Emacs code and use it to test various things.  We
should not have to wander through new "features" like this that have not been
agreed upon or even discussed thoroughly.  Experimental and _optional_ (opt-in)
is OK, as long as it is not the default.  Changing the default
select/kill/copy/yank behavior (for mouse or keyboard) is not OK.

There are third-party libraries that depend on the normal, traditional Emacs
behavior regarding the kill ring and primary and secondary.  It is not right to
break things willy nilly like this.