Subject: bug#67006: 30.0.50; w32-shell-execute will freeze Emacs on Windows 10

From: Eason Huang <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2023 10:35:09 +0800

Hell Emacs,

I found that when running w32-shell-execute with "open" will cause Emacs
freeze. And I have to kill the process of Emacs to restart.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Start Emacs with `emacs -Q`
2. M-: to eval the code below, you can change the second arg to other folder: 
```
(w32-shell-execute "open" "~/.emacs.d/")
```

3. Now the Emacs is frozen, C-Q also can not recover it. So you have to
kill process of Emacs, and restart Emacs again.

Best regards,

Eason Huang

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32) of 2023-11-09 built
 on DESKTOP-VIHFE84
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19045
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v10.0.2009.19045.3570)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-native-compilation=aot --without-dbus 'CFLAGS=-O2
 -fno-optimize-sibling-calls''

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: CHS
  locale-coding-system: cp936

Major mode: ELisp/d

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils compile text-property-search
comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring comp cl-seq comp-cstr cl-extra help-mode
warnings icons subr-x rx gv bytecomp byte-compile vc-git diff-mode
easy-mmode vc-dispatcher cl-loaddefs cl-lib china-util rmc iso-transl
tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table
term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win touch-screen tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads w32notify w32 lcms2 multi-tty
move-toolbar make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 98361 13532) (symbols 48 8278 0) (strings 32 24487 1925)
 (string-bytes 1 724252) (vectors 16 19580)
 (vector-slots 8 431419 16728) (floats 8 48 64) (intervals 56 524 22)
 (buffers 992 15))