Subject: bug#670: bug#1077: 23.0.60;x-create-frame: (wrong-type-argument number-or-marker-p nil)

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 09:19:42 -0700

> From: Drew Adams Sent: Saturday, November 22, 2008 8:47 AM
> I don't think I received Yidong's reply of 2008-10-15 for 
> some reason, but I see it now in the bug database:
> 
> > Please run Emacs under a debugger, set a breakpoint at `error',
> > trigger the error, and get a backtrace.
> 
> I don't know how to do that, and I do not have the C source 
> code anyway, in general.
> 
> I looked at the latest w32fns.c in CVS, however, trying to 
> find a `>' test in x-create-frame, but I didn't make any
> progress. I even tried diffing with the Emacs 22 version of
> w32fns.c (which works), but there were too many diffs to see
> what might be the problem. 
> 
> Can't someone please check the x-create-frame code and see 
> where the problem might be? I'm afraid that the Lisp
> backtrace I sent is all I can offer. This is
> happening in a call to special-display-popup-frame.

I am still seeing this in 23.1 (the release):

 In GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2009-07-29 on SOFT-MJASON
 Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
 configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.4)'

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument number-or-marker-p nil)
  >(nil 0)
  x-create-frame(((visibility) (width . 80) (height . 14) (menu-bar-lines . 1)
(top . 0) (left . 0) (unsplittable . t) (user-position . t)
(vertical-scroll-bars . right) (height . 14) (width . 80) (unsplittable . t)))
  x-create-frame-with-faces(((font . "-*-Lucida
Console-normal-r-*-*-14-112-96-96-c-*-iso8859-1") (width . 80) (height . 14)
(mouse-color . "Yellow") (cursor-color . "Yellow") (menu-bar-lines . 1)
(foreground-color . "Black") (background-color . "LightSteelBlue") (top . 0)
(left . 0) (unsplittable . t) (user-position . t) (vertical-scroll-bars . right)
(height . 14) (width . 80) (unsplittable . t)))
  make-frame(((font . "-*-Lucida
Console-normal-r-*-*-14-112-96-96-c-*-iso8859-1") (width . 80) (height . 14)
(mouse-color . "Yellow") (cursor-color . "Yellow") (menu-bar-lines . 1)
(foreground-color . "Black") (background-color . "LightSteelBlue") (top . 0)
(left . 0) (unsplittable . t) (user-position . t) (vertical-scroll-bars . right)
(height . 14) (width . 80) (unsplittable . t)))
  special-display-popup-frame(#<buffer *Messages*> nil)
  display-buffer(#<buffer *Messages*>)
  mouse-drag-region((down-mouse-1 (#<window 6 on  *Minibuf-0*> 1 (391 . 18)
-136706397 nil 1 (43 . 0) nil (391 . 18) (9 . 15))))
  call-interactively(mouse-drag-region nil nil)

Can no one check the x-create-frame code to see what the problem might be?

I'm using a standalone minibuffer frame.