Subject: Re: bug#66993: [PATCH] project.el: avoid asking user about project-list-file lock

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2023 08:37:39 +0200

> Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 23:04:50 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked]
> From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
> 
> On 08/11/2023 18:32, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > I thought these writes were already just adding projects, not
> > clobbering the list.
> 
> The file is re-written in full every time e.g. to remove the previous 
> mentions of a project that should now be moved to the top.

I don't understand how this resolves the concern about clobbering.  If
each Emacs session just writes its list of projects to the file,
without refreshing the list due to additions done by another session,
they will still clobber each other's lists, no?  This could be avoided
if the writer would read the file before rewriting it.

Can you tell why the list of projects is saved on a file that is
global among all sessions of the same user?  Would it make sense to
make the file specific to an Emacs process?