Subject: Re: bug#66993: [PATCH] project.el: avoid asking user about project-list-file lock

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2023 08:05:14 +0200

> From: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2023 23:10:43 +0000 (UTC)
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> >> But actually, maybe it's time that we just enable savehist by default.
> >
> > Even if we decide to do that (and I'm not at all sure we should), how
> > would that solve the difficulty pointed out by Dmitry?  Even if
> > savehist is ON by default, the user could turn it OFF, right?
> 
> That's fine, we'd still be preserving backwards-compatibility:
> project--list would still be saved by default.  The user could turn it
> off, if they want, but that's not a problem - they can turn it off if
> they want.

IMNSHO, it is a very bad idea to have one feature turn on and off as a
side effect of another, unrelated feature.  We should not have such
inelegant dependencies.  savehist is a general-purpose feature which
saves the history of important user actions, whereas the history of
projects is a completely different feature from a much more narrow
area of user activities.  They should not depend on one another, not
directly anyway.