Subject: Re: bug#66991: Confusion in interactive-form with commands with bare interactive forms.

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2023 07:29:10 -0500

> What about replacing (interactive "") with (interactive) too, and
> documenting this?

Why?

> The doc string says that "Return the interactive form of CMD, or nil
> ....".  But you seem to be arguing that there is no unique _THE_
> interactive form.

The interactive form is either a string or code.  When it's a string,
I expect you get the one and only `(interactive THE-STRING)`, but when
it's not a string ... well ... by definition the compiler changes the
representation of code so it's completely expected that you won't get
necessarily quite the same code (as long as its execution is equivalent).

> The doc string doesn't make this clear, and needs amending anyway.

Maybe, but I don't understand why you think it's necessary.

> To fix only the doc string rather than the code too, would double the
> doc string's size.

And this suggests we should also document `symbol-function` to say that
it may not return something identical to what you wrote in the
source code.

        Stefan