Subject: bug#66988: 30.0.50; treesit-forward-sexp not working properly in js-ts-mode and tsx-ts-mode

From: Loïc Lemaître <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 15:56:09 +0100

Hi Emacs team,

Here the steps to demonstrate the bug :

1. Compile Emacs from master branch with tree-sitter support
2. Install javascript and tsx languages
3. Run Emacs
4. Create a new buffer
5. Turn major mode to either js-ts-mode or tsx-ts-mode
6. Past the following content into the buffer:
(
   <div>
   </div>
);
7. Place point before opening parenthese
8. M-x forward-sexp (which will call treesit-forward-sexp)

=> New position is right after the semi-colon instead of being before 
the semi-colon.

Note that the bug disappear if the buffer content is changed for :
const component = (
   <div>
   </div>
);

But previous content, while not being very usefull, is valid JSX, as far 
as I know.
I use this syntax for unit test purpose, since it is very short.

Thanks !

Loïc Lemaître

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 5, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
  3.24.33, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2023-11-05 built on
  loic-Latitude-E5470
Repository revision: f0c0ff6bf23ec667ff5487fd94b7f46803ea00ac
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12201001
System Description: Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS

Configured using:
  'configure --with-native-compilation=aot --with-tree-sitter
  --with-json'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG
RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER X11 XDBE
XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: TypeScript[TSX]

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   indent-tabs-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(pp shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils typescript-ts-mode js
c-ts-common treesit json map byte-opt imenu cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs comp
cl-seq comp-cstr cl-extra help-mode warnings icons rx gv bytecomp
byte-compile time-date subr-x cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip
cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 125398 22424) (symbols 48 9683 4) (strings 32 28484 2423)
  (string-bytes 1 1002643) (vectors 16 20759)
  (vector-slots 8 406881 18596) (floats 8 38 27) (intervals 56 891 0)
  (buffers 992 15))