Subject: bug#66970: closed (Re: bug#66970: 29.1; Overwrite-mode is not working with Korean characters)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 14:34:02 +0000

Your bug report

#66970: 29.1; Overwrite-mode is not working with Korean characters

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
66970: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=66970
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#66970: 29.1; Overwrite-mode is not working with Korean characters
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 16:31:53 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 12:41:42 +0000
> Cc: Sukbeom Kim <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> 
> > Thanks for testing.  João, please install this, and thanks.
> 
> Done in 8090ab05434.  Typo in the commit subject though, sorry about that.

Thanks, closing.

Subject: 29.1; Overwrite-mode is not working with Korean characters
From: SUKBEOM KIM <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 01:07:00 +0900
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

I found a bug with typing Korean characters that "overwrite-mode" is not
actually working well. (For Japanese/Chinese characters, there is no
issue at all.)

aeoiu
=> あえu
=> 아에aeiou

In the thread, one of the Japanese users reported a bug but it is not
appropriate for Korean characters which requires a combination of
sub-characters to make a character unlike other Japanese or Chinese
characters.

- https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2015-05/msg00039.html

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $LANG: C.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   indent-tabs-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   overwrite-mode: overwrite-mode-textual

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils cus-start
cus-load hangul hanja-util quail comp comp-cstr warnings icons subr-x rx
cl-seq cl-macs gv cl-extra help-mode cl-loaddefs cl-lib bytecomp
byte-compile rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 164922 8869)
  (symbols 48 8289 0)
  (strings 32 40752 3578)
  (string-bytes 1 1149899)
  (vectors 16 19161)
  (vector-slots 8 319338 11606)
  (floats 8 34 31)
  (intervals 56 269 0)
  (buffers 984 12))