Subject: [bug#66964] mesa-updates: call for patches

From: Christopher Baines <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2023 11:07:07 +0000

John Kehayias <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Update below:
>
> On Sun, Nov 05, 2023 at 11:47 PM, John Kehayias wrote:
> [snippy snip snip]
>>>
>>> Happy to! Substitutes will eventually become available, but there's
>>> quite a few builds to be done. This takes care of some ungrafts and
>>> updates with I hope minimal disruption. I'll be keeping an eye out and
>>> using locally as well. Please test and report, thanks everyone!
>>>
>>> John
>>
>> An issue was created to track merging the mesa-updates branch here:
>> <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/66964>. Please use that bug number as
>> needed (and cc me or use wide-reply in emacs debbugs).
>
> At this point I feel we are just about ready to go, unless there are
> objections?
>
> Substitute coverage, according to
> <https://qa.guix.gnu.org/branch/mesa-updates> is good on x86_64 and
> i686 (about 95% and 83%, respectively) while, as usual, other
> architectures are behind. The next best is aarch64 at 54% on bordeaux,
> and then falling to 24% for armhf, with others we build in the teens.
> I think this is to be expected? In any event builds continue very
> slowly and in the past I think this is about where we merge.

I think some changes have been pushed since this email, since the
aarch64 substitute availability has dropped from 54% to 25%.

> So, shall I merge this to master in the next couple of days? I've been
> merging master into mesa-updates smoothly so far. Please do check and
> feel free to object if this needs more time.

I guess this has been held up by the changes on the 15th, but still, I
think we need to wait for substitute availability to improve more prior
to merging, unless there's a specific and significant reason why we
don't want to wait.

Targets are arbitrary, but guix weather defines ☀ as 80%+, so I think
that's what we should aim for at least for x86_64-linux, i686-linux,
aarch64-linux and armhf-linux. This isn't just about substitute
availability though as this is key for discovering what things fail to
build.

Obviously delays in merging aren't ideal, but we should tackle the
problems around this, maybe by deciding that testing and providing
substitutes for ARM isn't a priority and thus isn't something we should
wait for, or look at getting more ARM hardware to speed up the process
(we also have a lack of x86_64 hardware on the bordeaux build farm).