Subject: [bug#66964] Request for merging "mesa-updates" branch

From: Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 08:28:56 +0200

On Tue, Nov 14, 2023 at 08:11:08PM +0000, John Kehayias wrote:
> Hi Kaelyn,
> 
> On Sun, Nov 12, 2023 at 08:01 PM, Kaelyn wrote:
> 
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've just submitted a pair of patches for the mesa-updates branch:
> > <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/67136> updating xorgproto and
> > xorg-server-xwayland. The xorgproto is a high-impact update (guix
> > refresh reports rebuilding 8710 packages would ensure 22871 dependent
> > packages are rebuilt), but required to update to the latest xwayland
> > as xwayland requires a newer version of presentproto than in the
> > current guix xorgproto package. The updating and ungrafting of mesa
> > and a number of X.org related libraries seemed like a good time (and
> > place) to update xorgproto as well.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Kaelyn
> 
> Thanks for the patches. I think mesa-updates in this current iteration
> is set on builds (ended up being a lot more due to the ungrafting but
> seems done on our main architectures for several days now). I had to
> make some other changes to fix some larger breakages but at this point I
> think it will just be taking us back in the build queue too much.
> 
> So I think it would make more sense on the next big rebuild, either
> core-updates (talk about doing that with more ungrafts right now) or
> I'll do mesa-updates again when the next release of mesa hits. Or maybe
> it makes sense to just do another branch for xwayland?
> 
> Open to ideas! I'll send a separate message soon on the status of
> mesa-updates and see what people think, but my thought was to merge this
> to master in the next day or so if there are no objections.

If the mesa branch is ready to merge so soon then I think we should just
get that merged and then I'll rebase the rust-team branch on top of new
master.  The rust-team branch is also ready to merge, but we're way
behind on aarch64 substitutes.  Either way the substitute servers will
be rebuilding all of rust so I think it'd be better to merge in
mesa-updates and then do rust.

-- 
Efraim Flashner   <[email-masked]>   רנשלפ םירפא
GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D  14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351
Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted