Subject: [bug#66964] Request for merging "mesa-updates" branch

From: John Kehayias <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 20:11:08 +0000

Hi Kaelyn,

On Sun, Nov 12, 2023 at 08:01 PM, Kaelyn wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just submitted a pair of patches for the mesa-updates branch:
> <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/67136> updating xorgproto and
> xorg-server-xwayland. The xorgproto is a high-impact update (guix
> refresh reports rebuilding 8710 packages would ensure 22871 dependent
> packages are rebuilt), but required to update to the latest xwayland
> as xwayland requires a newer version of presentproto than in the
> current guix xorgproto package. The updating and ungrafting of mesa
> and a number of X.org related libraries seemed like a good time (and
> place) to update xorgproto as well.
>
> Cheers,
> Kaelyn

Thanks for the patches. I think mesa-updates in this current iteration
is set on builds (ended up being a lot more due to the ungrafting but
seems done on our main architectures for several days now). I had to
make some other changes to fix some larger breakages but at this point I
think it will just be taking us back in the build queue too much.

So I think it would make more sense on the next big rebuild, either
core-updates (talk about doing that with more ungrafts right now) or
I'll do mesa-updates again when the next release of mesa hits. Or maybe
it makes sense to just do another branch for xwayland?

Open to ideas! I'll send a separate message soon on the status of
mesa-updates and see what people think, but my thought was to merge this
to master in the next day or so if there are no objections.

Thanks!
John