Subject: 30.0.50; Commit 6c47931a1ad4de ("Make EIEIO ':accessor' behave like ':reader' when reading (bug#66938)") breaks Eglot

From: Arsen Arsenović <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 03:01:00 +0100

Hi,

The commit referenced above seems to break Eglot.  It generates the
following stack trace:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (unbound-slot eglot-lsp-server "#<eglot-lsp-server eglot-lsp-server-156c8b8af842>" -events-buffer oref)
  signal(unbound-slot (eglot-lsp-server "#<eglot-lsp-server eglot-lsp-server-156c8b8af842>" -events-buffer oref))
... ; Removing extremely long frames
  eieio-barf-if-slot-unbound(eieio--unbound #<eglot-lsp-server eglot-lsp-server-156c8b8af842> -events-buffer oref)
  slot-value(#<eglot-lsp-server eglot-lsp-server-156c8b8af842> -events-buffer)
  #f(compiled-function (this) "Retrieve the slot `-events-buffer' from an object of class\n`jsonrpc-connection'." #<bytecode -0x1b11cbbb3991ccc5>)(#<eglot-lsp-server eglot-lsp-server-156c8b8af842>)
  apply(#f(compiled-function (this) "Retrieve the slot `-events-buffer' from an object of class\n`jsonrpc-connection'." #<bytecode -0x1b11cbbb3991ccc5>) #<eglot-lsp-server eglot-lsp-server-156c8b8af842> nil)
  jsonrpc--events-buffer(#<eglot-lsp-server eglot-lsp-server-156c8b8af842>)
  jsonrpc-events-buffer(#<eglot-lsp-server eglot-lsp-server-156c8b8af842>)
  jsonrpc--log-event(#<eglot-lsp-server eglot-lsp-server-156c8b8af842> (:message "Running language server: /usr/lib/llvm/17/bin/clangd"))
  jsonrpc--debug(#<eglot-lsp-server eglot-lsp-server-156c8b8af842> "Running language server: %s" "/usr/lib/llvm/17/bin/clangd")
  eglot--connect((c-mode c-ts-mode c++-mode c++-ts-mode objc-mode) (transient . "/tmp/") eglot-lsp-server ("/usr/lib/llvm/17/bin/clangd") ("c" "c" "c++" "c++" "objc"))
  eglot((c-mode c-ts-mode c++-mode c++-ts-mode objc-mode) (transient . "/tmp/") eglot-lsp-server ("/usr/lib/llvm/17/bin/clangd") ("c" "c" "c++" "c++" "objc") t)
  funcall-interactively(eglot (c-mode c-ts-mode c++-mode c++-ts-mode objc-mode) (transient . "/tmp/") eglot-lsp-server ("/usr/lib/llvm/17/bin/clangd") ("c" "c" "c++" "c++" "objc") t)
  command-execute(eglot record)
  execute-extended-command(nil "eglot" "eglot")
  funcall-interactively(execute-extended-command nil "eglot" "eglot")
  command-execute(execute-extended-command)

Reproduction steps:

- emacs -q
- C-x C-f foo.c RET
- M-x eglot RET

Apologies for my brevity and lack of analysis and/or a patch - it is
getting late.

Have a lovely night.

(note that the info below does not come from the emacs -q session I was
testing this in, but I can also reproduce this issue in this session)

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.38, cairo version 1.18.0) of 2023-11-28 built on localhost
Repository revision: 7a5c91a2831602c3cd961158cf0b6a876852d7ac
Repository branch: master
System Description: Gentoo Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --datarootdir=/usr/share
 --disable-silent-rules --docdir=/usr/share/doc/emacs-30.0.9999
 --htmldir=/usr/share/doc/emacs-30.0.9999/html --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --program-suffix=-emacs-30-vcs --includedir=/usr/include/emacs-30-vcs
 --infodir=/usr/share/info/emacs-30-vcs --localstatedir=/var
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --without-compress-install --without-hesiod --without-pop
 --with-file-notification=inotify --with-pdumper --enable-acl
 --enable-xattr --with-dbus --with-modules --with-gameuser=:gamestat
 --with-libgmp --with-gpm --with-native-compilation=aot --with-json
 --without-kerberos --without-kerberos5 --with-lcms2 --with-xml2
 --with-mailutils --without-selinux --without-small-ja-dic
 --with-sqlite3 --with-gnutls --with-libsystemd --with-threads
 --with-tree-sitter --without-wide-int --with-sound=alsa --with-zlib
 --with-pgtk --without-x --without-ns --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 --without-gconf --without-gsettings --with-harfbuzz --with-libotf
 --with-m17n-flt --with-xwidgets --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-webp --without-imagemagick
 --with-dumping=pdumper 'CFLAGS=-freport-bug -O3 -ggdb3 -pipe
 -fdiagnostics-color=always -march=x86-64-v2 -flto' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1
 -Wl,--as-needed -O3 -Wl,-O3 -pipe -fdiagnostics-color=always
 -Wl,--defsym=__gentoo_check_ldflags__=0 -Wl,-z,pack-relative-relocs
 -Wl,--build-id -flto''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2
LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER
PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM XWIDGETS GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_TIME: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  diff-hl-flydiff-mode: t
  global-jinx-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  mu4e-modeline-mode: t
  corfu-popupinfo-mode: t
  global-corfu-mode: t
  corfu-mode: t
  marginalia-mode: t
  vertico-mouse-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  global-display-fill-column-indicator-mode: t
  display-fill-column-indicator-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  global-whitespace-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tab-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake/cmake-mode
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/desktop-entry-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/desktop-file-utils/desktop-entry-mode
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/ninja/ninja-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/ninja-kitware/ninja-mode
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/transient/transient hides /usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow emacsbug view woman man org-clock dabbrev cape completion
image-file image-converter sort smiley gnus-cite mm-archive mail-extr qp
textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping ucs-normalize uni-confusable
textsec-check magit-bookmark git-rebase magit-extras
magit-sparse-checkout magit-gitignore magit-ediff ediff ediff-merg
ediff-mult ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util
magit-subtree magit-patch magit-submodule magit-blame magit-stash
magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone
magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree
magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs
magit-status magit package url-handlers magit-repos magit-apply
magit-wip magit-log magit-diff smerge-mode git-commit log-edit
magit-core magit-autorevert magit-margin magit-transient magit-process
with-editor comp comp-cstr server magit-mode transient magit-git
magit-base magit-section cursor-sensor face-remap shortdoc pulse
consult-xref disass misearch multi-isearch help-fns radix-tree cl-print
cus-start eglot external-completion jsonrpc xref ert debug backtrace
tramp-cache time-stamp consult pcmpl-unix em-unix em-term term ehelp
em-script em-prompt em-pred em-ls em-hist em-glob em-extpipe em-cmpl
em-dirs em-basic em-banner em-alias esh-mode esh-var eshell esh-cmd
esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-groups esh-util
vertico-directory add-log tar-mode arc-mode archive-mode font-latex
preview latex latex-flymake tex-ispell tex-style tex-mode tex-info tex
crm texmathp texinfo texinfo-loaddefs typescript-mode mhtml-mode
css-mode js c-ts-common conf-mode flycheck-pkgcheck meson-mode tcl
ruby-mode cperl-mode rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid
rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn
nxml-ns nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap sgml-mode facemenu nxml-util
nxml-enc xmltok flymake-cc flymake compile warnings yaml-mode
autoconf-mode python project pcase dired-aux make-mode ld-script m4-mode
info cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs autorevert vc-git diff-hl-flydiff diff diff-hl
log-view pcvs-util vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher diff-mode jinx
ebuild-mode skeleton sh-script smie treesit executable
display-line-numbers oc-basic org-element org-persist org-id org-refile
avl-tree generator ol-eww eww url-queue mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc
ol-info ol-gnus nnselect ol-docview doc-view filenotify jka-compr
image-mode exif ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi
savehist saveplace tramp-sh tramp trampver tramp-integration files-x
tramp-message tramp-compat xdg shell tramp-loaddefs desktop frameset
cus-load mu4e mu4e-org mu4e-notification notifications mu4e-main
mu4e-view thingatpt gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime
gnutls dig gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus
comp-run comp-common gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo
parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus nnheader
range wid-edit mu4e-headers mu4e-compose mu4e-draft mu4e-actions
smtpmail mu4e-search mu4e-lists mu4e-bookmarks mu4e-mark mu4e-message
shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file
url-domsuf url-util flow-fill mule-util hl-line mu4e-contacts
mu4e-update mu4e-folders mu4e-context mu4e-query-items mu4e-server
mu4e-modeline mu4e-vars mu4e-helpers mu4e-config mu4e-window bookmark pp
ido message sendmail mailcap yank-media puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822
mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util
text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils
gmm-utils mailheader mu4e-obsolete auth-source-pass url-parse url-vars
auth-source eieio eieio-core password-cache modus-vivendi-tinted-theme
modus-themes kind-icon svg-lib color svg dom xml corfu-popupinfo corfu
orderless marginalia vertico-mouse vertico compat flycheck json map dash
org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src
ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-osc ansi-color org-list
org-footnote org-faces org-entities time-date noutline outline
ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol rx org-fold
org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs org-version org-compat org-macs format-spec which-key
ace-window subr-x avy ring edmacro kmacro byte-opt
display-fill-column-indicator disp-table which-func imenu elec-pair
icons whitespace cl-macs gv cl-extra help-mode cl-seq use-package
use-package-ensure use-package-delight use-package-diminish
use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode use-package-core cl-loaddefs
cl-lib bytecomp byte-compile site-gentoo preview-latex ess-autoloads
ess-generics tex-site rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win pgtk-dnd touch-screen tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads xwidget-internal dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk lcms2
multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1820713 3119067) (symbols 48 62485 159) (strings 32 319528 93051)
 (string-bytes 1 11499903) (vectors 16 193722) (vector-slots 8 3684047 2741445)
 (floats 8 936 13963) (intervals 56 100361 18396) (buffers 992 330))
-- 
Arsen Arsenović