Subject: [bug#66935] [PATCH 4/4] services: dovecot: Fix incorrect type for ssl? field.

From: Bruno Victal <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 14:52:55 +0000

Hi Herman,

On 2023-11-05 18:03, Herman Rimm wrote:
> Guix pull fails with the [PATCH 4/4] commit. It could be because
> 'ssl? #t' is still used for the inet-listeners in the default
> dovecot-configuration.

Oops, this must have passed under the radar due to some stale .go file
issue, nice catch!

> By the way, I see that the "required" value can be used for the
> ssl dovecot core setting, but for the inet-listener this is not
> specified: https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/service_configuration/?highlight=inet_listener#ssl.

According to the dovecot link you provided, it isn't clear whether this
'ssl' in the context of inet-listener is a dovecot boolean [1] or is a
string in the same manner like the core ssl setting [2].
I'm afraid the dovecot documentation isn't the clearest here.

> I think changing the ssl? option type from boolean to string should
> be done for all boolean valued options simultaneously in a separate
> patch, if at all.

Some of the boolean options are really dovecot boolean, it's only
this ssl? field in the inet-listener that is strange.
I think it might be better to leave it for a separate patch as you
have suggested, in that case feel free to discard the 4/4 patch.

> Also, can you post any amended patch series in chronological order
> so it's easier to apply?

I'm afraid not since this is a limitation of email, there's no
guarantee that emails arrive in the same order that they're sent.

[1]: <https://doc.dovecot.org/settings/types/#boolean>
[2]: <https://doc.dovecot.org/settings/core/#core_setting-ssl>

-- 
Furthermore, I consider that nonfree software must be eradicated.

Cheers,
Bruno.