Subject: [bug#66932] [PATCH] services: Add xremap service.

From: John Kehayias <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2024 01:56:34 +0000

Hello!

Looks like this got a little lost, but would love to have an xremap
service (I have a config I found which gives me nice emacs keys
everywhere).

On Mon, Dec 04, 2023 at 06:43 PM, VÖRÖSKŐI András wrote:

> Hi Ludo,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> On Sat Dec 2, 2023 at 11:48 AM CET, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> Hi András,
>>
>> Did you consider writing “bindings” so that one can configure it Scheme,
>> as is the case for most other services?  (To be clear, I think we should
>> still allow people to provide their own Yaml file as is done here.)
>
> I did consider that, but I am not familiar with guile, so that is too
> hard for me and there are a lot of combinations to handle.
>
>> If that’s too tricky/impractical, we can keep the patch as is, but
>> adding “native” configuration on top of that would be sweet.
>
> It is tricky for me and telling the truth I do not see the benefit.
>

>From what I saw when I first looked at xremap, there's quite a lot of
syntax and possibilities. I guess the simplest thing is just something
that produces yaml from s-expressions without much logic, but maybe that
doesn't gain us much.

In any event, would like to have this as a starting point.

Ludo’: had you reviewed this at all do you remember, besides the
comment/suggestion above?

>> I wonder if it would make sense, in a future patch, to also provide
>> ‘home-xremap-service-type’ as a direct mapping of this service.  Food
>> for thought.
>
> I was thinking about that, but was not sure. There is a section in the README about that:
> https://github.com/k0kubun/xremap#running-xremap-without-sudo
>
> The basic idea is creating an input group with write permission for every
> input type.
> I think we can not automate the "add user to input group" in the home-service,
> so that would be still a manual task.
>
> Is this solution acceptable?
>

I don't know how this might work, sorry. It did seem more complicated to
do this without root, I believe by design of how such input grabbing
works (as one would hope, for security). A home service would indeed be
ideal, along with configuring as noted above, but I think both are quite
a bit more work.

> Thanks,
> András

Thanks for the patch, I haven't tried it but maybe I can just take the
actual service part and slap it in my config...

John