Subject: bug#6693: 24.0.50; font-lock-(builtin|doc) faces are *way* too close

From: David De La Harpe Golden <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 01:52:06 +0100

On 03/07/11 15:34, Drew Adams wrote:

> Just _look_ at the colors, using emacs -Q.  Do the same in an older release
> also, to compare.  You should be able to see the problem clearly.
>
>

Computer systems vary quite a bit in their color reproduction, and 
different people can have different color vision, and not just in a 
"complete red/green colorblindness" fashion either [1].

I'd say we absolutely should try to keep the emacs out-of-box color 
scheme colorblind-safe, so some people having problems _is_ a reason to 
change the scheme.  It's just an assumption that everyone is seeing what 
you see may be faulty. font-lock-doc (#8b2252 or so) definitely still 
looks pretty different to font-lock-builtin (#7a378b or so) on my 
system. Are the colors actually used on your system even coming out as 
similar hex values to those?

See also samples in old emacs-devel thread [2]

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness#Anomalous_trichromacy

[2]
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-07/msg01582.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-07/msg01588.html