Subject: RE: 24.0.50; font-lock-(builtin|doc) faces are *way* too close

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 07:34:03 -0700

> The commit message for the change from Orchid to MediumOrchid4 is:
> 
> + 2009-08-02  Chong Yidong  <[email-masked]>
> ... Darken the colors for light backgrounds.
> 
> So presumably some people had difficulty reading Orchid on light
> backgrounds?

Yes, I'm familiar with that commit.  I disagree that it represents an
improvement, which is why I filed the bug report.

> Perhaps a different colour could be used in your use case that would
> still be legible, but separate the doc string from the keywords.
> Do you have a suggestion?

I suggest "Orchid", as before.  But I would probably be OK with any other
solution that distinguishes these two faces better without introducing other
such clashes.

And this is _not_ about my use case.  This is about the Emacs default, -Q, case,
as expressed in the bug report, which starts with "emacs -Q".  Personally, I use
a very different color scheme - this has nothing to do with my use case.

Just _look_ at the colors, using emacs -Q.  Do the same in an older release
also, to compare.  You should be able to see the problem clearly.