Subject: cannot load autoloads for hyperbole (doom emacs)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2023 13:48:27 +0100

Hello,

I have a strange problem: I can install hyperbole on doom emacs with no
issue, but when I later try to upgrade it, it no longer loads with
this error:

internal-macroexpand-for-load: Eager macro-expansion failure: (error
"Hyperbole failed to generate autoload files; try running ’make src’ in
a shell in
/Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/build-29.1/hyperbole/")

(It actually asks me first to create a kotl directory there).

I cannot run the suggested command because there is no Makefile in this
directory:

schmitta@TM ~/.e/.l/s/b/hyperbole (master) [1]> ls -l
total 344
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     64 Nov  2 13:08 hact.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hact.el
-rw-r--r--  1 schmitta  staff  19342 Nov  2 13:08 hact.elc
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     68 Nov  2 13:08 hactypes.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hactypes.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     65 Nov  2 13:08 hargs.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hargs.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     66 Nov  2 13:08 hbdata.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hbdata.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     65 Nov  2 13:08 hbmap.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hbmap.el
-rw-r--r--  1 schmitta  staff   3405 Nov  2 13:08 hbmap.elc
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     64 Nov  2 13:08 hbut.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hbut.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     65 Nov  2 13:08 hgnus.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hgnus.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     65 Nov  2 13:08 hhist.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hhist.el
-rw-r--r--  1 schmitta  staff   1562 Nov  2 13:08 hhist.elc
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     71 Nov  2 13:08 hib-debbugs.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hib-debbugs.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     70 Nov  2 13:08 hib-doc-id.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hib-doc-id.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     67 Nov  2 13:08 hib-kbd.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hib-kbd.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     70 Nov  2 13:08 hib-social.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hib-social.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     68 Nov  2 13:08 hibtypes.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hibtypes.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     65 Nov  2 13:08 hinit.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hinit.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     70 Nov  2 13:08 hload-path.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hload-path.el
-rw-r--r--  1 schmitta  staff   5396 Nov  2 13:08 hload-path.elc
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     65 Nov  2 13:08 hmail.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hmail.el
-rw-r--r--  1 schmitta  staff   7726 Nov  2 13:08 hmail.elc
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     63 Nov  2 13:08 hmh.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hmh.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     67 Nov  2 13:08 hmoccur.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hmoccur.el
-rw-r--r--  1 schmitta  staff   6047 Nov  2 13:08 hmoccur.elc
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     70 Nov  2 13:08 hmouse-drv.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hmouse-drv.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     71 Nov  2 13:08 hmouse-info.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hmouse-info.el
-rw-r--r--  1 schmitta  staff   9481 Nov  2 13:08 hmouse-info.elc
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     70 Nov  2 13:08 hmouse-key.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hmouse-key.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     70 Nov  2 13:08 hmouse-mod.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hmouse-mod.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     69 Nov  2 13:08 hmouse-sh.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hmouse-sh.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     70 Nov  2 13:08 hmouse-tag.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hmouse-tag.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     65 Nov  2 13:08 hpath.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hpath.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     66 Nov  2 13:08 hrmail.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hrmail.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     69 Nov  2 13:08 hsettings.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hsettings.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     66 Nov  2 13:08 hsmail.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hsmail.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     73 Nov  2 13:08 hsys-org-roam.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hsys-org-roam.el
-rw-r--r--  1 schmitta  staff    621 Nov  2 13:08 hsys-org-roam.elc
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     68 Nov  2 13:08 hsys-org.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hsys-org.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     68 Nov  2 13:08 hsys-www.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hsys-www.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     72 Nov  2 13:08 hsys-youtube.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hsys-youtube.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     63 Nov  2 13:08 htz.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/htz.el
-rw-r--r--  1 schmitta  staff  10349 Nov  2 13:08 htz.elc
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     77 Nov  2 13:08 hui-dired-sidebar.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hui-dired-sidebar.el
-rw-r--r--  1 schmitta  staff   1641 Nov  2 13:08 hui-dired-sidebar.elc
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     70 Nov  2 13:08 hui-em-but.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hui-em-but.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     69 Nov  2 13:08 hui-jmenu.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hui-jmenu.el
-rw-r--r--  1 schmitta  staff   8079 Nov  2 13:08 hui-jmenu.elc
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     68 Nov  2 13:08 hui-menu.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hui-menu.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     68 Nov  2 13:08 hui-mini.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hui-mini.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     69 Nov  2 13:08 hui-mouse.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hui-mouse.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     72 Nov  2 13:08 hui-register.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hui-register.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     70 Nov  2 13:08 hui-select.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hui-select.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     72 Nov  2 13:08 hui-treemacs.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hui-treemacs.el
-rw-r--r--  1 schmitta  staff   2988 Nov  2 13:08 hui-treemacs.elc
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     70 Nov  2 13:08 hui-window.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hui-window.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     63 Nov  2 13:08 hui.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hui.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     64 Nov  2 13:08 hvar.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hvar.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     68 Nov  2 13:08 hversion.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hversion.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     63 Nov  2 13:08 hvm.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hvm.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     69 Nov  2 13:08 hycontrol.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hycontrol.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     68 Nov  2 13:08 hypb-ert.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hypb-ert.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     76 Nov  2 13:08 hypb-maintenance.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hypb-maintenance.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     64 Nov  2 13:08 hypb.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hypb.el
-rw-r--r--  1 schmitta  staff  68662 Nov  2 13:08 hyperbole-autoloads.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     69 Nov  2 13:08 hyperbole.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hyperbole.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     71 Nov  2 13:08 hyrolo-demo.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hyrolo-demo.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     72 Nov  2 13:08 hyrolo-logic.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hyrolo-logic.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     71 Nov  2 13:08 hyrolo-menu.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hyrolo-menu.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     66 Nov  2 13:08 hyrolo.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hyrolo.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     69 Nov  2 13:08 hywconfig.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hywconfig.el
drwxr-xr-x  2 schmitta  staff     64 Nov  2 13:19 kotl/
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     63 Nov  2 13:08 set.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/set.el
-rw-r--r--  1 schmitta  staff   6611 Nov  2 13:08 set.elc
schmitta@TM ~/.e/.l/s/b/hyperbole (master) [1]> ls -l
total 344
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     64 Nov  2 13:08 hact.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hact.el
-rw-r--r--  1 schmitta  staff  19342 Nov  2 13:08 hact.elc
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     68 Nov  2 13:08 hactypes.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hactypes.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     65 Nov  2 13:08 hargs.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hargs.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     66 Nov  2 13:08 hbdata.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hbdata.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     65 Nov  2 13:08 hbmap.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hbmap.el
-rw-r--r--  1 schmitta  staff   3405 Nov  2 13:08 hbmap.elc
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     64 Nov  2 13:08 hbut.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hbut.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     65 Nov  2 13:08 hgnus.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hgnus.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     65 Nov  2 13:08 hhist.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hhist.el
-rw-r--r--  1 schmitta  staff   1562 Nov  2 13:08 hhist.elc
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     71 Nov  2 13:08 hib-debbugs.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hib-debbugs.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     70 Nov  2 13:08 hib-doc-id.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hib-doc-id.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     67 Nov  2 13:08 hib-kbd.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hib-kbd.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     70 Nov  2 13:08 hib-social.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hib-social.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     68 Nov  2 13:08 hibtypes.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hibtypes.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     65 Nov  2 13:08 hinit.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hinit.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     70 Nov  2 13:08 hload-path.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hload-path.el
-rw-r--r--  1 schmitta  staff   5396 Nov  2 13:08 hload-path.elc
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     65 Nov  2 13:08 hmail.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hmail.el
-rw-r--r--  1 schmitta  staff   7726 Nov  2 13:08 hmail.elc
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     63 Nov  2 13:08 hmh.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hmh.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     67 Nov  2 13:08 hmoccur.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hmoccur.el
-rw-r--r--  1 schmitta  staff   6047 Nov  2 13:08 hmoccur.elc
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     70 Nov  2 13:08 hmouse-drv.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hmouse-drv.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     71 Nov  2 13:08 hmouse-info.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hmouse-info.el
-rw-r--r--  1 schmitta  staff   9481 Nov  2 13:08 hmouse-info.elc
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     70 Nov  2 13:08 hmouse-key.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hmouse-key.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     70 Nov  2 13:08 hmouse-mod.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hmouse-mod.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     69 Nov  2 13:08 hmouse-sh.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hmouse-sh.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     70 Nov  2 13:08 hmouse-tag.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hmouse-tag.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     65 Nov  2 13:08 hpath.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hpath.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     66 Nov  2 13:08 hrmail.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hrmail.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     69 Nov  2 13:08 hsettings.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hsettings.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     66 Nov  2 13:08 hsmail.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hsmail.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     73 Nov  2 13:08 hsys-org-roam.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hsys-org-roam.el
-rw-r--r--  1 schmitta  staff    621 Nov  2 13:08 hsys-org-roam.elc
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     68 Nov  2 13:08 hsys-org.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hsys-org.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     68 Nov  2 13:08 hsys-www.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hsys-www.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     72 Nov  2 13:08 hsys-youtube.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hsys-youtube.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     63 Nov  2 13:08 htz.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/htz.el
-rw-r--r--  1 schmitta  staff  10349 Nov  2 13:08 htz.elc
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     77 Nov  2 13:08 hui-dired-sidebar.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hui-dired-sidebar.el
-rw-r--r--  1 schmitta  staff   1641 Nov  2 13:08 hui-dired-sidebar.elc
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     70 Nov  2 13:08 hui-em-but.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hui-em-but.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     69 Nov  2 13:08 hui-jmenu.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hui-jmenu.el
-rw-r--r--  1 schmitta  staff   8079 Nov  2 13:08 hui-jmenu.elc
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     68 Nov  2 13:08 hui-menu.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hui-menu.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     68 Nov  2 13:08 hui-mini.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hui-mini.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     69 Nov  2 13:08 hui-mouse.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hui-mouse.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     72 Nov  2 13:08 hui-register.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hui-register.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     70 Nov  2 13:08 hui-select.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hui-select.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     72 Nov  2 13:08 hui-treemacs.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hui-treemacs.el
-rw-r--r--  1 schmitta  staff   2988 Nov  2 13:08 hui-treemacs.elc
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     70 Nov  2 13:08 hui-window.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hui-window.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     63 Nov  2 13:08 hui.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hui.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     64 Nov  2 13:08 hvar.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hvar.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     68 Nov  2 13:08 hversion.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hversion.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     63 Nov  2 13:08 hvm.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hvm.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     69 Nov  2 13:08 hycontrol.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hycontrol.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     68 Nov  2 13:08 hypb-ert.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hypb-ert.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     76 Nov  2 13:08 hypb-maintenance.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hypb-maintenance.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     64 Nov  2 13:08 hypb.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hypb.el
-rw-r--r--  1 schmitta  staff  68662 Nov  2 13:08 hyperbole-autoloads.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     69 Nov  2 13:08 hyperbole.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hyperbole.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     71 Nov  2 13:08 hyrolo-demo.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hyrolo-demo.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     72 Nov  2 13:08 hyrolo-logic.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hyrolo-logic.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     71 Nov  2 13:08 hyrolo-menu.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hyrolo-menu.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     66 Nov  2 13:08 hyrolo.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hyrolo.el
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     69 Nov  2 13:08 hywconfig.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/hywconfig.el
drwxr-xr-x  2 schmitta  staff     64 Nov  2 13:19 kotl/
lrwxr-xr-x  1 schmitta  staff     63 Nov  2 13:08 set.el@ -> /Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/repos/hyperbole/set.el
-rw-r--r--  1 schmitta  staff   6611 Nov  2 13:08 set.elc

the kotl directory is itself empty.

Here is the error trace when I try to load hyperbole (by turning the
mode on):

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Eager macro-expansion failure: (error \"Hyperbole f...")
  signal(error ("Eager macro-expansion failure: (error \"Hyperbole f..."))
  error("Eager macro-expansion failure: %S" (error "Hyperbole failed to generate autoload files; try r..."))
  internal-macroexpand-for-load((eval-and-compile (when (and (boundp 'hyperb:dir) (null hyperb:dir)) (makunbound 'hyperb:dir) (setq features (delq 'hload-path features) features (delq 'hversion features))) (unless (or (require 'hversion nil t) (and (stringp load-file-name) (require 'hversion (expand-file-name "hversion" (file-name-directory load-file-name)) t))) (error "(Hyperbole): Startup failure: `hyperb:dir' must be..."))) nil)
  eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*> nil "/Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/build-29...." nil t)  ; Reading at buffer position 5076
  load-with-code-conversion("/Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/build-29...." "/Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/build-29...." nil t)
  autoload-do-load((autoload "hyperbole" ("/Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/etc/@/init.29.elc" . 274169) t nil) hyperbole-mode)
  command-execute(hyperbole-mode record)
  execute-extended-command(nil "hyperbole-mode" nil)
  funcall-interactively(execute-extended-command nil "hyperbole-mode" nil)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)
  command-execute(execute-extended-command)

If it matters the value of hyperb:dir is
"/Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/.local/straight/build-29.1/hyperbole/"

Here ie how I install hyperbole in doom emacs:

in "packages.el":
(package! hyperbole :recipe (:host nil :repo "https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/hyperbole.git"))

in "config.el":
(use-package! hyperbole
  :defer t
  :config
  (setq hsys-org-enable-smart-keys t))

Please don’t hesitate to ask for additional information on how to debug
this.

Best,

Alan