Subject: Re: bug#6689: 24.0.50; No primary selection

From: David De La Harpe Golden <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 22:20:42 +0100

On 21/07/10 16:06, Drew Adams wrote:
> emacs -Q
>
> In another Emacs session, select some text in any way and hit `M-w'.
>
> Click mouse-2 in the new Emacs session.  You get the error "No primary
> selection".

This is because w32 emacs' internal primary emulation is  presently 
intra-session only.  There may be a way to make it cross-session or even 
get primary-like behaviour to/from other w32 apps (involving 
accessibility apis), but it would be somewhat nontrivial.

"(global-set-key [mouse-2] 'mouse-yank-at-click)" will cause mouse-2 to 
revert to using the kill-ring/clipboard.

> Please restore selection, copying/killing, and yanking to what it was
> like before.

w32 in particular has actually long had a platform-specific default in 
place corresponding to the most major of the recent changes, funny enough.

Mind you, if you naively reversed the settings as presented in NEWS, it 
wouldn't actually restore the old settings on w32, because the fact w32 
e.g. already had x-select-enable-clipboard on by default isn't noted.